DTW/ORD Fan!
Topic Author

Anyone Here Flown JetBlue?

Sun May 13, 2001 1:27 pm

Has anyone here flown JetBlue? If so, could you tell me some details. How was the in-flight service? How were the leather seats? What movies did they offer on the PTV's,etc??

MAH4546

RE: Anyone Here Flown JetBlue?

Sun May 13, 2001 1:46 pm

I fly them all the time from Miami to New York City, and my next flight is 25 June. Love them! Excelent service! Comfortable seats, a little more leg room than most carriers (not American but better than Delta), and the absolute friendliest service in the skies that puts the Big Six to shame. They do not show movies on thier PTVs, it is 20 channels of live-feed network television - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, Food Network, Cartoon Channel, CNN, and 13 other channels.
a.

MaxPowers

Sun May 13, 2001 1:50 pm

From NYC to Miami. Wow! They are the best i have ever flown with. Lether seats, one class config, cheep, ptv's are totaly awesome. I was happy they came along, and they are here for the long run. Brand new a319's i think. i always mess up 19's with 20's. oh well they still are the best damn planes in a long time.

Monocleman

Sun May 13, 2001 1:55 pm

A320's, Maxpowers. 319's are much smaller.
Will

watewate

Sun May 13, 2001 1:58 pm

JetBlue does not fly to MIA. You must have meant FLL. Well, Miami and Fort Lauderdale is close enough, anyways.

chepos

Sun May 13, 2001 2:20 pm

At this moment Jetblue only operates the A320 and going back to the original question , no I havent flown Jetblue yet but hopefully in the future I will.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

ILOVEA340

Sun May 13, 2001 2:22 pm

I have heard that they are great. how do they make money?

Desmidus

Sun May 13, 2001 3:15 pm

They sell tickets to make money.

Sun May 13, 2001 3:35 pm

What are you talking about Desmidus. Thats unheard of.

EIPremier

Sun May 13, 2001 5:04 pm

How do they make money?

Actually, that's a good question. Jet Blue has been doing quite well for a start-up---they reported their first month of profitability in August 2000 (just six months after commencing service).

Why has JetBlue proven successful?
It all comes down to having the money to do things right from the start....

JetBlue was the most heavily capitalized start-up in US aviation history, with nearly $130 million in capital funding. Instead of leasing old, gas-guzzling, high maintenance 737s, they were able to purchase brand new A320s. They could also afford to give their passengers tangible benefits. Airlines with customer loyalty do not just have good on-time performance---they offer their passengers defining features such as an exceptional frequent flier program, better food, or in JetBlue's case, better seats and IFE. Every passenger will notice that JetBlue offers leather seating and complimentary Live TVs at every seat. Even if the flight is delayed, the passenger still knows the airline has redeeming features.

JetBlue was not the only start-up with the foresight to employ the "spend to save" strategy. However, they were one of the few airlines with an initial capitalization sufficient to pull it off.

Another key to JetBlue's success was their choice of destinations. They chose routes which were underserved, but still reasonably low-risk. By choosing JFK as their hub, they did not encroach on the fortress hub of a major airline, and they were able to achieve on-time performance better than any carrier at EWR or LGA. Steady growth helps companies to remain profitable, and with more than 20 million people living in and around New York City, JetBlue is just beginning to tap a huge market.

Jet Blue does operate with a fairly low cost platform. Labor costs are cheap right now, although they will rise with employee seniority. Also, the A320s are fillied to the brims with seats---162 to be exact, which JetBlue achieves through removing the galleys. Obviously, they cannot serve hot meals, but they can snacks which are cheaper and better tasting. I don't know the details of the DirecTV agreement, but I guarantee you JetBlue would not offer it for free if it was costing them money. DirecTV and the cable networks are receiving tons of publicity through this whole deal, so I suspect they are covering the brunt of JetBlue's costs. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the satellite TV is the sort of feature that will attract new customers and increase customer loyalty.

JetBlue is a success in every way so far. At first I questioned the choice of A320s in place of A319s, but the planes are filling up. The combination of low fares, great operational performance, and a modern, high-tech travel experience has been winning with passengers. I think the next step for them is form frequent flier partnerships, further soldifying the airline's customer base.

By setting such a good foundation, JetBlue can work their way upwards.

lindy field

Mon May 14, 2001 12:25 am

Yes, JetBlue has yet to disappoint me. The leather seats and PTVs make the JFK-OAK and JFK-ONT flight quite pleasant.

N509JB

Awesome Awesome Awesome

Mon May 14, 2001 1:00 am

its good to hear the positive feed back...we aint perfect, but we are trying to make a difference.

lol @ Desmidus

great summery EIPremier, i couldnt have said it better myself

N509JB

Dazed767

Mon May 14, 2001 1:10 am

I've flown on them 7 times (only cost me a total of $79 so far  Big grin ). They are wonderful, the planes are so fresh and so clean, and the seats are just like first class (especailly in an emergency row, more leg room! haha). The F/A's are awsome and so are the pilots, making jokes etc. I never felt a full A320 on take off like I did going to ONT, what an experience that was. 24 channels of TV sure helps the time fly. Sure beats watching your tray table.

Forever JETBLUE!

michigan4life

Mon May 14, 2001 1:54 am

I've flown them on their JFK-TPA route, and that experience was incredible. My next flight will be this Thursday (5/17) on their inaugural service to DEN. after that will be 6/1 flying to MCO.

Mike

chepos

Mon May 14, 2001 1:59 am

Hopefully one day JetBlue will answer my prayers and start flying to wonderfull SJU were they are badly needed.The trip to JFK is pretty expensive with AA now controlling the route.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

USAFHummer

Mon May 14, 2001 2:18 am

Whats jB's FF program like??

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

MAH4546

Mon May 14, 2001 2:23 am

Chepos, I don't know if you read the Miami Herald article, but your prayers might be answered in a year or so when jetBlue hopes to open a hub at FLL to serve the Caribbean. JFK-FLL, with six daily flights (soon to be eight) is thier bread and butter route. One of thier two launch routes, those A320's leave the jetBlue gate at FLL on the average more than 90% full. jetBlue hopes to start Caribbean ops and a second flight attendents base at FLL. I think it would work very well, because in the Miami area jetBlue has made a huge name for itself. I fly them at least 6-8 times a year and have had a bad experience only once (they accidently spilled cream on my wife), in which they refunded me the complete ticket!
a.

Mon May 14, 2001 2:50 am

Spilled cream on his wife...thats the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Wish, you reading you this?

Good compensation though, its not the mistake they made, but how they recovered. Well done JetBlue.

Anyway, yeah the Herald article was exciting indicating a future FF program, an FLL hub, a new meal service programme, and other exciting developments.

JFK-SJU should be an awesome addition, they should get on that right now. I'm curious if JetBlue has developed JFK into an airport with banks of flights? Or do flights just come in anytime and leave? N509JB, you have any idea how the JFK ops work?

rgds
russ

klm672

Mon May 14, 2001 3:51 am

I flew JB from BTV-NYC for a day of spotting in NYC, Best FLight EVER!

N509JB

Banks

Mon May 14, 2001 3:56 am

lots of AM flights when JFK is dead. pretty much all the departures are scheduled around the "rush" at JFK. i know ATC had been good to us, so hopefully this will help us along as we grow...

no FF program yet. it is being worked on as we speak and should be in service by the end of the year. it should be retroactive to include flown segments.

we spilled cream on a pax and refunded her ticket? damn, that IS nice...how do we make money again? oh, thats right...we sell tickets  Big grin

N509JB

klm672

Mon May 14, 2001 4:07 am

Lol thats funny N509JB, so I guess u are a FA?

AgnusBymaster

RE: Sure Beats United And Delta

Mon May 14, 2001 4:51 am

I flew JetBlue round-trip between JFK-TPA. Firstly, I was impressed by how friendly the F/As were. They actually helped people with their carryons instead of hiding in the galley. Also, the cabin was very clean.

My flights were dead on-time, which is not the case with the majority of my trips on United and Delta. There is also more legroom than United Y- and Delta. I would say the seat pitch is more like that on Alaska and Southwest, although not as much as American.

The Satellite TV is a nice feature for squirmy kids. Personally, I wasn't that excited by the channels, and the programming was filled with ads. However, the reception quality was very good. My only complaint is that the headphones were pretty low quality, but I suppose I could just bring my own next time.

Take a look at JB's on-time numbers...

http://www.jetblue.com/LearnMore/on-time.html/

AgnusBymaster

Mon May 14, 2001 4:53 am

USAFHummer

Mon May 14, 2001 6:55 am

Im hoping to fly them soon...everyone says such good things about them they seem like the perfect airline...now how to convince my parents to make the 2.5 hr. drive to JFK??? That is the problem...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

AgnusBymaster

Mon May 14, 2001 1:04 pm

Is there any hope of JetBlue starting JFK-ATL service??

MAH4546

Mon May 14, 2001 1:26 pm

Agnus, I don't think ATL is the place they are trying to go to. All the airports they serves, sans SLC (which is actually flown mainly because the owner of JB has strong ties with Salt Lake City), have no dominant hub carrier, and they usually serve secondary airports (i.e. Los Angeles - ONT, San Fran - OAK, Miami - FLL). They like to fly three main routes, being high density routes (New York-Miami/San Francsico/Los Angeles are three of the ten most traveled domestic airline routes in the world), Westcoast redeye flights, and Northeast-Florida services.
a.

Mon May 14, 2001 2:18 pm

Mah4546- Don't say they don't serve fortress hubs when they do. Though they don't call it one... Southwest has a huge presence at OAK, though it would probably take 2 or 3 stops to get to Islip, so JB is still in control of the route. I know it wouldn't be in their business plan, but I think they'd be hugely successful with a red-eye in to SFO. UAs red-eye fills a 763 to the brim every night. If JB was there promising more ontime service, and boasting its specialties, I think they could do it. I doubt this will happen though.

AgnusBymaster

Tue May 15, 2001 4:41 am

SLC-JFK and ATL-JFK both receive three daily non-stops with Delta (two of which are widebodies). EWR-SLC and EWR-JFK are served by both DL and CO. However, LGA-SLC has no non-stops, while LGA-ATL is serve hourly (sometimes 1/2 hourly) by Delta.

Anyway, it looks like JB doesn't have a real chance going into Atlanta. Too bad...we could use some competition.

DCA-ROCguy

RE: Banks

Tue May 15, 2001 4:56 am

Some relatives of mine in Rochester who usually fly United, took JetBlue to JFK a few weeks ago to catch a major-carrier flight to Europe.

"JetBlue is wonderful," one relative told me. It was very different from United because "everyone was so nice to us....we couldn't get over how kind JetBlue people are." When my relatives' flight from Europe arrived early, JetBlue happily squeezed them onto an earlier flight to Rochester, so they didn't have to sit around JFK all evening.

As soon as Mr. Neeleman gets the slots at DCA he wants and JetBlue gets to DC, that's going to be my standard way to go home to Rochester.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

MAH4546

Tue May 15, 2001 5:00 am

SJC-SFO, you know as well as I do that WN has no hubs. They have cities with large operated (HOU, LAS, PHX, BNA, BWI, etc.), but no hubs. WN at OAK is just like DL at FLL. Very large operations, but not hub operations. More O&D.
a.

Tue May 15, 2001 5:20 am

AgnusBymaster, I think you mean ATL-EWR, not JFK-EWR.

Nevertheless, I also doubt B6 will go to ATL. Too much competition from Delta (what like 400 daily flights to LGA?) plus Airtran picks up much of the low-fare traffic.

Also, someone said JB doesn't operate to major hubs, well DEN is a major UAL hub, MCO is a major DL/DLX hub and if SJU is started (rhumored), it is now a major TW/AA hub.

rgds
russ

vulindlela744

Tue May 15, 2001 7:27 am

I must agree with the other posts here. Flew JB last year in Oct. FLL-JFK. I was very impressed. Told anyone I knew to fly them to NY if they were going there. The planes were great and comfortable and clean. They certainly get my vote. Jet Blue, I'll be back

FLY777UAL

Tue May 15, 2001 9:46 am

If only they'd fly to Sacramento...

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

MAH4546

Tue May 15, 2001 9:53 am

TWAneedshelp, your right about DEN. I forgot. However, I would not call MCO a major DL hub. It is a lot of O&D and Delta Express traffic, not what I consider a hub. A lot of flights does not equal a hub. Currently, SJU is not one of jetBlue's priority Caribbean destinations according to the Miami Herald, but even if they did serve it, I would not call SJU a major AA hub whatsoever. It is mostly service to smaller Carribean islands on Eagle.
a.

lubcha132

Tue May 15, 2001 10:39 am

I hear the CEO is an FA or he goes on the planes a lot.

CEO

Tue May 15, 2001 10:57 am

Yes,

David Neeleman,FA's the local flights. he is a nice guy, I met him a few times

philh83

Tue May 15, 2001 11:13 am

Flew on JetBlue from JFK to ROC. The word I would use to describe their service is refreshing. From the check-in counter, to the gate, to the flight attendants, the staff was helpful, friendly and funny. Quick check in for the early morning flight to ROC. Terminal was empty. An example of the humor found on JetBlue: They had a "world clock" set up, with a series of clocks that showed the time in such exotic cities as Buffalo, Burlington and Tampa. Got a chuckle out of that. There were toys in the terminal to keep the little ones busy. Flight service was fine, with good snacks and drinks. Bagel chips and cookies beats WN's peanuts. Wasnt quite sure on the quality of the pilots. Our pilot had to leave our plane so he could fly to Buffalo in bad weather. The original pilot was not comfortable flying into Buffalo in bad weather. During our flight in perfect weather, our plane seemed to speed up and slow down at random intervals. A small price to pay for the perks. And could one mention Jetblue without mentioning the PTV's? Sure, the quality might not be like a plasma tv, and the sound might not be like a Bose Wave Radio, but it kept me busy on the short hop up to ROC. I'll take it over staring at the tray table anyday. The only question, with WN now flying to PBI from ISP, who will be my choice to PBI to visit the folks? I have to think about that one.

N509JB

More Answers

Tue May 15, 2001 9:02 pm

ATL : prolly not gonna happen. i havent heard it mentioned, and i didnt see it on our plans.

SAC: same thing.

our pilots have a wealth of experience. i believe we insisted on that when we hired our frist dozen or so. and they get paid well. every one wants to fly for us, so we really have our pick of the top.

N

airwarrior

Wed May 16, 2001 6:26 am

I recently flew jetBlue from JFK-MCO. It was the fourth trip Ive taken with them and each one is more pleasant than the previous. 7 of the 8 legs I have flown with them have operated on schedule and on the one flight that didnt operate on time - they ordered pizza's for everyone on the airplane (and the delay wasnt even within their control - weather in NYC had all 3 airports closed.) I hope they can keep it up - I will drive right past LGA everytime as long as they keep things just the way they are. PS - the PTV's are great and I hear they are deleting/adding channels in the near future - hopefully a movie or music channel.