NoUFO
Topic Author

Do Pilots Need ..

Mon May 14, 2001 8:21 am

... an ignition key to start the engines of a plane? Or do they just press a push button?
And if they use those keys: do they take them home after a working day?

NoUFO - always curious
I support the right to arm bears

RE: Do Pilots Need ..

Mon May 14, 2001 8:23 am

No they do not need a key on most aircraft, smaller ones (4 seater singles) require one, however larger then that you only need it to get in the door!
Iain

NoUFO
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2001 8:28 am

THX. And how do they get in the door? Aren't doors on larger planes locked?

NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

Mon May 14, 2001 8:34 am

NoUFO I honestly do not know. I highly doutb they look them unless they are in overnight parking, so I guess the key is kept in a secret place in the plane. And when the plane is locked it goes in a safe at the airport!
Iain

ILOVEA340

Mon May 14, 2001 8:39 am

who is going to steal a 747? first you have to get to it. then climb up to the door the figurte out how to open the door then open the cokpit door then fill it with gas the start it then taxi it then take off then get out of US airspace all under the watchful eye of thje control tower and airport security.

Don't mean to sound rude here!!

sxmarbury33

Mon May 14, 2001 8:51 am

Plus you need to know how to start the APU establish electrics and bleed air to start engines. and know how to add fuel to the engiens. Unless the pilot was trying to steal the plane i doubt most criminals know these kinds of things.

Mon May 14, 2001 9:20 am

Maybe not steal the entire aircraft (which is you know what you are doing probably is not too difficult), but it would be very easy to steal things like pilot headsets, aircraft documents, life vests, personal DVD players (on AA) and other valuables!
Iain

AAR90

Tue May 15, 2001 8:41 am

No you do not need a key to start any of the commercial airliners I have flown. You do need quite a bit of knowledge in order to get the start procedures done -- even the minimum required to accidentally start an engine.

Sorry Iain, most "valuables" are removed from AA overnight aircraft prior to its overnight stay. If not removed it is probably because it (the "valuable") will not work without being connected to the aircraft (i.e. the DVDs).  Big grin
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

Tue May 15, 2001 8:51 am

AAR - Thanks for filling us in. But do the doors actually have looks on them? I know the corpjets I have seen do, so I guess the airliners are along the same lines.
Thanks,
Iain

Max Q

Tue May 15, 2001 10:21 am

No commercial airliner that I am aware of has any kind of
a "lock" on any of the exterior doors.

All commercial jets do however have a lock on the cockpit door,crewmembers are issued keys,there is also a remote unlocking device
in the cockpit to allow f/a's to enter with both pilots seated.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

ben88

Tue May 15, 2001 10:41 am

There are no locks on the outside of commercial aircraft. The aircraft has to be accesible from the outside at all times, whether on the ground parked overnight, or in the air.