LAX
Topic Author

Has Southwest's New Livery Won You Over Yet?

Mon May 14, 2001 5:54 pm

Southwest has had this scheme for a couple months now. I recall the initial reaction here was mostly negative to this very nice scheme (my opinion).

After watching them fly for a while now, what are your thoughts?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Aric Thalman

Click for large version

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

Or would most of you prefer this one as Southwest's permanent colors? .............

Click for large version

Photo © Stephen Dobbins

(This one's nice too.)

RE: Has Southwest's New Livery Won You Over Yet?

Mon May 14, 2001 10:23 pm

It is no meat nor fish. I really do not have an opinion about the new Southwest livery. Sometimes I like it and sometimes my feelings get disorientated. Really strange and mixed appearance...very weird.

apuneger

Mon May 14, 2001 10:31 pm

I like the older style. I think its colors are more distinguishing at airports, so it is easier to recognize Southwest aircraft.

I just think that the older livery is more beautiful.

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

lindy field

Mon May 14, 2001 11:10 pm

One of my ex-girlfriends always referred to Southwest's planes in the old livery as "flying salmon." I think the new livery is an improvement but I have yet to see it in person.

Tue May 15, 2001 12:21 am

I like the new one better. The old reminds me of something you find in a baby's diaper!

rominato

Tue May 15, 2001 12:24 am

It's still ugly.

mls515

Tue May 15, 2001 12:40 am

I have yet to see it in person, but I think I still like the old one better. I'll be at MCI on the 20th, & DAL on the 23rd and 30th, so maybe I'll get to see one then and rethink my preference.

mls515

GOT

Tue May 15, 2001 1:03 am

The new c/s looks better then the one they had before, but it doesn't say so much. The one thay had before is so boring.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

highflyer16

Tue May 15, 2001 1:20 am

Southwest has always had the ugliest livery as far as I am concerned.

This one seems to be about as bad as the original.

It's a disgrace for one of the airline's industry leaders to fly around planes that look like this.

They need to hire "Air Orange" or someone else who knows about livery design right away!  Smile

goingboeing

Tue May 15, 2001 1:25 am

As a shareholder in Southwest, I could care less if they painted them pea green and pink - people can't see it from the inside, and judging from 27 consecutive years of profitabilty, a lot of people are on the inside of their planes. I haven't seen the new one yet, I hope to in a couple of weeks.

Just yesterday, sitting on my deck and watching planes flying over (I'm 50 miles from the airport, so they are pretty high) I try to figure out what airline is flying over. The red bellied war birds are easy to spot. Gotta LUV it.

Lindy

Tue May 15, 2001 1:33 am

Rominato, you probably never saw those airplanes in person. They are absolutely gorgeous. I dont like Southwest Airlines but I like their new image.
I took pictures of exactly those aircrafts in past two weeks at BWI

Click for large version

Photo © Ben Wang

Click for large version

Photo © Konstantin Von Wedelstaedt

Click for large version

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

Click for large version

Photo © Eddy Gual - Aviation Photography of Miami

Click for large version

Photo © Ben Wang

Click for large version

Photo © Jeremy Irish

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

travatl

Tue May 15, 2001 1:41 am

The new scheme is uglier than any airline paint scheme I have ever seen. The New Mexico One plane above would have even been an improvement over that thing. It's even worse in real life than in photos. Perhaps if they had kept the red bottom, with a blue top (no wavy line, though), and for God's sake, what's up with the BRIGHT NEON YELLOW "Southwest" on the tail. Whoever chose this should be immeiately sent for a drug screen.

HOWEVER, as Goingboeing put it, after 27 years of profitability, I guess they could leave them unpainted and unpolished, and it wouldn't matter....I'll just have to start wearing dark sunglasses any time I'm in a Southwest city (which is more and more these days).

Traivs

EGGD

Tue May 15, 2001 1:49 am

I liked the old one although i have not seen the new in person.

Gold doesn't really go with anything else, i think they should make it a little more modern but keep the gold as blue looks a little out of place.

Although, now that i look at it another way....

EGGD

rominato

Tue May 15, 2001 1:49 am

Actually, i have... LAX has a lot of planes passing through, and I'm over by LAX often....

Tue May 15, 2001 2:22 am

NO!

Fan_I_Am (not of WN new colors)

SEA nw DC10

Nope...

Tue May 15, 2001 4:37 am

This new livery is supposed to depict an arizona canyon sunset, when in reality, it looks like a box of Crayola markers exploded onto the plane. The colors do not match whatsoever, I don't like the old colors that much, but comparing the two, I'd go for the old colors. All in all though, SWA is one of the airline leaders so more power to them. I really don't think this livery will last long if the late 90's Delta livery didn't last 3 years w/o a revision, and that livery was one of the most conservative ones I've seen.

SEA nw DC10

captcjmac

Tue May 15, 2001 7:01 am

SOUTHWEST HAD AND STILL HAS THE WORST PAINT SCHEME OF ANY US AIRLINE, PERIOD.

Tom in NO

Tue May 15, 2001 7:11 am

Lindy field:

My wife calls aircraft with the old paint job..."hot dogs".

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Tue May 15, 2001 7:24 am

I LOVE THE NEW SCHEME! I will miss the old one but luckily they will still have 3 in the old scheme to honor the 3 original cities. I saw 3 of them on the same day at Las Vegas Mccarran Intl (their second busiest airport with about 166 operations each day) , these photos have something wrong with them, the blue isn't showing up correctly! You jsut have to see it in person and it is really lovely. I fly it all the time in flight simulator (if anyone wants it e-mail N521NA@aol.com, it's not the one at flightsim.com which is VERY unrealistic), and i got used to it.

America West

Tue May 15, 2001 8:38 am

I've seen a couple of the new ones at CMH. I think that they are very nice compared to the old colors. But that's just my opinion.

dragon-wings

Tue May 15, 2001 8:48 am

I loved southwests new colors from the very start. And now Im starting to see more of them landing and taking off at ISP
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

We're Nuts

Tue May 15, 2001 9:50 am

I'd be happy with either!

Still 'Nuts
Dear moderators: No.

lubcha132

Tue May 15, 2001 10:44 am

I think it went from bad to worse...the colors stand out and they should go 50's retro, not 70's retro.

ContinentalFan

Tue May 15, 2001 11:17 am

It is very nice in person. Looks classy. Flew on one last week DAL-HOU. The interior is very nice too - the lack of bulkheads, etc. makes it seem very spacious. Also noticed that the seats on the left side are not lined up w/ the ones on the right (e.g. they're staggered). Didn't ever notice that b4 on Southwest.

Mike.

Kohflot

Tue May 15, 2001 12:29 pm

I got my first good long look at the new scheme today at BWI (I had seen it before at RDU, but just in passing). In reality, there's not much difference between the old and new. The 'cheatlines' are curvy now, instead of straight.. and the tan was replaced by blue.. except for the title, where tan replaces the white. Personally, I think it's fantastic.. But it does pose one interesting question. If all you had to change in the colorscheme was one color (like they did), what would have changed it to? I think the blue was a great choice.
Ask why..

jared

Tue May 15, 2001 2:51 pm

Yuck. I guess blue is better but still not very appealing.

CPDC10-30

Tue May 15, 2001 3:03 pm

I've always liked the new livery.

AerLingus

Tue May 15, 2001 3:10 pm

I think that it is just the shock of having the first new livery since the 1960's.
If you look at it long enough, it starts to look nice.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

BlatantEcho

Purple?

Tue May 15, 2001 3:39 pm

I started to like it until I saw two new planes at OAK, and it looked like it was purple, not canyon blue or whatever. With most good pictures, I do like their new livery, the blue matches well, but in person, perchance it was the lighting, but it looked like puke purple, and I did not like it at all. If it truely is the rich blue that I see in most photos, then count me as a "like"

BlatantEcho
They're not handing trophies out today

757PF

Tue May 15, 2001 3:40 pm

HOW can anybody like the ugly OLD scheme better than this nice new blue one!!!???

What exactly is SO BAD about the new one?

It's very nice, I think!

$0.02 by 757PF........

Tue May 15, 2001 5:54 pm

I'm still saying "NO" to the new livery. It's just too SMURFY for my taste I guess. At least it's not another solid white fuselage with over-sized bill-board style letters with only tail and/or nacelle art. Sorry Frontier Airlines but it's SO BEEN DONE! Well, you know what they say about opinions... there's mine for now. It could change... hated Continentals current scheme when introduced until I saw it on the real aircraft! Have liked it ever since.

Smokin cool

Type-Rated

Tue May 15, 2001 8:38 pm

I liked the "Silver" picture posted. They could make the tail the same silver/red or even silver/blue and it would be fine.
I think their old livery looks dated and the new is just way too loud! When I first saw the blue I was concerned that they might not be that easy to see while in the air. Especially from the top down. This could be a concern to other air traffic.
Another thing I noticed about WN, in the south and west they have the orange / gold colors everywhere in their airport terminal area. In the north (i.e.,MDW) they use dark blue and silver everywhere which I think is a much classier look. The employees uniforms even reflect this at these places. Does anyone know why they do this?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Western737

Tue May 15, 2001 9:21 pm

I like both. I thought the old livery do match the color of southwest climate/geography so is the new one. I wasnt used to see the new one but more I seen it, I appeared to like it too.

I like the unique "olive" color in old livery. Dont anyone sick of common color like red, white, blue, etc?

757PF

Thu May 17, 2001 1:28 pm

Smile/happy/getting dizzy Nice colors.

Thu May 17, 2001 3:30 pm

Nope, and I doubt it ever will either. It's a good thing everything else about Southwest is so well done.

Cheers,
Dave in Berlin

IMissPiedmont

Sat May 26, 2001 11:56 am

May be late, but who cares. The new Southwest livery is an improvement. Still not great, but better than the 'baby puke' colors of before. I think, though, that at least they should have left that little bit of orange out. It really doesn't fit.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Sat May 26, 2001 12:11 pm

Believe me it looks much better in person.

Max Q

Sat May 26, 2001 12:16 pm

Anything's better than there old paint job.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

airplanetire

Sat May 26, 2001 12:38 pm

I really like the old Southwest brown livery. It's really unique and kind of ugly, but I like it. The new livery is not really very good in my opinion.

DTW_Steve

Sat May 26, 2001 1:39 pm

I like it a little better tahn the old one, but its nothing really spectacular. And even if you do hate it, you still got admit, at least it doesn't looks like this:

Click for large version

Photo © Justin Cederholm - Orlando/Tampa Aviation Photography

Laugh out loud

Steve

BUR707

Sat May 26, 2001 4:46 pm

I like it better than the old.