767-332ER
Topic Author

Heathrow, Any Chance For DL Or NW Or Anyone Else?

Wed May 16, 2001 7:46 am

Is there any chance that DL or NWA or CO or any other American airlines will be able to fly into LHR? What about this US-UK open-skies agreement?
Thanks.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

philb

RE: Heathrow, Any Chance For DL Or NW Or Anyone Else?

Wed May 16, 2001 7:52 am

Not until the US moves away from its current negotiating position and the current bi-lateral agreements are replaced with something balanced equally whilst expanding service provision.

Even then, any new US airline at LHR would have to be able to sustain an operation based on available positions in the slot allocation system - and there aren't that many possibilities without current users dropping a number of slots.

The stalemate has been in position for years, with everyone tiptoeing around the problem and no Government of either complexion, on either side, doing much except keeping talks going.

767-332ER
Topic Author

PhilB

Wed May 16, 2001 8:00 am

Thanks for the help.

TOMASKEMPNER

Wed May 16, 2001 8:01 am

Not for a while, there is this stupid agreement between the US and UK called the Bermuda II that allows only 2 British carriers and two americans to operate services between Heathrow and selected US cities like : New York(JFK, Newark), Boston, Washington, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Seatle.

There can´t be fligths between Atlanta and Heathrow because of this agreement, but they should start revising it.

ryanb741

Wed May 16, 2001 8:09 am

Once Terminal 5 is built at Heathrow then I guess you will see Delta and co. at LHR, but that of course would depend on the US being flexible with the slots it allocates to BA, VS and BD.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

767-332ER
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2001 8:51 am

So it's only Virgin and BA from England and UA and AA from the USA. Can anyone tell me the exact list of US cities that the Bermuda II allows?