PanAm747
Topic Author

Far East In ANC

Wed May 23, 2001 8:30 am

I was in ANC last week and I was surprised to see all the Far East carriers there. In the North terminal it was Delta, Canada3000, China Airlines, Korean Air, and some other oriental carriers.

Is ANC such a big tourism spot for them?

If they stopped in ANC to pick up cargo (as ANC leads the world in cargo) why did the pax get off?

Do these airlines make a lot of revenue with their cargo ops to/from the US?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

B7474

RE: Far East In ANC

Wed May 23, 2001 9:13 am

China Airlines stops for refueling and also Korean Air.Asiana Airlines also does when it travels JFK-ICN via ANC.

PanAm747
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2001 9:18 am

But don't the pax get off the plane? They have check in booths so the pax must get off the plane, tour, then get back on.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

dynkrisolo

Wed May 23, 2001 9:19 am

ANC is wildly used as a technical stop for cargo operations. It's necessary because no freighter aircraft has the range to fly nonstop between Asia and the US nonstop. ANC is a cargo hub for NW, I believe.

watewate

Wed May 23, 2001 9:22 am

Pax do get off the plane- for 60 - 90 minutes on most flights. Many airlines have lounges for the elite members- I know KE has one for its members.

Wed May 23, 2001 9:23 am

Asiana, Korean Air, China Airlines ONLY use Anchorage as a refueling stop, as a result, I don't think passengers can get off and on the plane. These airlines don't have rights to pick up passengers from Anchorage.

Twotterwrench

Wed May 23, 2001 9:30 am

Dont' know where you got your info jimbo, but it ain't right. China airlines has a pax flight into anc everyday. Lots and Lots of em get off and go take tours. Asiana also has a daily flight to anc. some of them are through traffice, some get off.

watewate

Wed May 23, 2001 9:31 am

I second Twotterwrench. You can find published fares that originate and terminate in ANC on Asian flights.

Twotterwrench

Wed May 23, 2001 9:36 am

I have worked for the companies that turn these flights so I am quiet certain about my facts.

jasewgtn

Wed May 23, 2001 3:02 pm

Korean Airlines have stopover rights 3 times a week in ANC where customers may stopover/board the flight.

Asiana only use ANC as a technical stop (passengers spend time in the transit lounge but cannot leave the airport)

China Airlines have stopover rights 5 times a week in ANC where customers may stopover/board the flight

L-188

Wed May 23, 2001 8:27 pm

You can buy tickets to and from Anchorage on all of these companies. Guy I know at work is planning on doing that for a vacation to Korea. And we did look at fares on Asiana.

During the summer there are many aircraft that run charter flights into here also.

Oh freighter aircraft do have the range to fly US Asia non stop but most don't. Most airlines find it more cost effective to carry revenue freight rather then fuel. And they can limit the number of hours their flight crews have to fly.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

B747

Wed May 23, 2001 9:26 pm

I have stopped at ANC on Asiana between JFK-SEL. The SEL-JFK was non-stop. On KE it was a non-stop both ways. When on OZ we stopped for 90mins for cargo upload / download, and fuel.They do make you get off, but confine you to the terminal.
Brian
At Pope, where not happy, until you're not happy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos