hkg_clk

Why Do 747 Combis Have Windows Along Cargo Section

Sun May 27, 2001 11:02 pm

Can anyone explain why this is the case? I would assume the windows are quite useless?
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

Ndebele

RE: Why Do 747 Combis Have Windows Along Cargo Section

Sun May 27, 2001 11:11 pm

That is because airlines have to plan for the future, that means you never know what will happen to the aircraft, maybe you re-configure it into an all-pax aircraft tomorrow. Look at LH's 744 Combi: There are seven 744 Combis, all of which got delivered between 1989 and 1991, equipped with both a side cargo door and windows along cargo section. Well, in 1999, when LH Cargo got MD-11F, LH decided to re-configure these 744 Combis into all-pax aircraft. I don't think passengers would be happy to board an aircraft without windows.

757PF

Sun May 27, 2001 11:23 pm

Yes, I'd have to agree totally with NDEBELE on this one.

Along the same lines.......I was wondering how the SUD of the Boeing 747-300F Freighters were configured? I know KLM operates this odd type (743F). Was curious as to what's "upstairs" in this rather large SUD area?

The same question would also apply to an even rarer type flown by KLM.....the B747-200SF (with SUD). What's upstairs? Lots of crew seating? Maybe a billiard room? (That'd be kinda cool, huh?)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

hkg_clk

Sun May 27, 2001 11:23 pm

Then what did they do with the side cargo door? Is it still there? Would fell a bit insecure if I were sitting right next to this huge door inflight! (or perhaps even leaning against it!)
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

hkgspotter1

Sun May 27, 2001 11:35 pm

Planes have lots of doors !!, whats the difference if its big or small !, I've flown on the Philippine Airline 744 with a cargo door twice and I never fell out !!!!!!

The reason its a combi is because it can be cargo and it can be passenger if they want. Thats why it has to have windows.

Navion

Correction

Mon May 28, 2001 12:09 am

Actually, the Combi is different from the convertible. A Combi is usually both pax & freight at the same time. The reason for windows is not only the ones stated above but also the fact the Combi divider between the passenger cabin and the cargo deck is movable. If an airline has more cargo to move, the divider will be moved forward to allow for more pallets. Conversly, if cargo demand is down and pax deman is up, the divider is moved further aft. Of course if the main deck isn't needed at all, then the divider is removed totally and passenger accoutrements are installed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos