Ndebele
Topic Author

There's Something Rotten In The State Of Germany!

Mon May 28, 2001 12:57 am

What's wrong with Lufthansa? I just found this pic of D-ABXA "Giessen", LH's first B737-300:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Not even 15 years old, and LH starts phasing out the 733? On the other hand, I found a pic of D-ABYM, the oldest aircraft in the whole Lufthansa fleet - 23 years old and probably in service with LH for some more years:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Fiedler

Look, D-ABYM seems to smile while taking off, saying "Hey, Giessen, you already want to leave? Look at me, I'm Schleswig-Holstein, and I will be flying until hell freezes!"

Seriously, LH should really phase out the 742 before getting rid of the beautiful 733!

RE: There's Something Rotten In The State Of Germany!

Mon May 28, 2001 1:08 am

Oh,funny ,

I flew FRA-JFK in Aug. 1998 on exactly that a/c(D-ABYM)

Glad to see it'still around.

Big grin

Mon May 28, 2001 1:09 am

I might not know much Lufthansa's mantainence but i am pretty sure that the planes are kept in a good condition. Look at airlines in the US, their planes are pretty old but are running safely. The point i am trying to make is that it is mantainence and not age that matters!

Regards
åviatioÑ_lover

NoUFO

Mon May 28, 2001 1:11 am

"Beauty" isn't what counts (as you probably know) and Lufthansa plans to replace the last remaining 742, too. "Rotten"? It's just business.
BTW, actually all those 733 and 735 bore me ...  Innocent
NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

Ndebele
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2001 1:39 am

-> aviatioN_lover (sorry I didn't get the vowel mutations), of course a well-maintained old aircraft is better than a new one with bad maintenance. But I think Lufthansa's maintenance is generally very good, i.e. a 15-year-old 733 is still a good aircraft. And you can make as many D-Checks as you want, you won't get the 742 less noisy or reduce its fuel consumption, will you?

-> NoUFO, do you think replacing the 737s with even more A32X is less boring?

NoUFO

Mon May 28, 2001 1:44 am

-> NoUFO, do you think replacing the 737s with even more A32X is less boring?

Actually, I think so ... It is very likely I will think twice in a couple of years, though.

NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

Mon May 28, 2001 2:08 am

<<<-> aviatioN_lover (sorry I didn't get the vowel mutations), of course a well-maintained old aircraft is better than a new one with bad maintenance. But I think Lufthansa's maintenance is generally very good, i.e. a 15-year-old 733 is still a good aircraft. And you can make as many D-Checks as you want, you won't get the 742 less noisy or reduce its fuel consumption, will you?>>>

Fine. Maybe i did not get the idea of this topic (at least when i first read it) The thing is that the 733's have undergone more flight cycles than the 742 and so is most likely to be replaced earlier. Also LH, to my understanding has a substantial fleet of A32X's so it makes sense for them to do so.

åviatioÑ_lover

airways

Mon May 28, 2001 2:26 am

Hello

As I see, the 737-300 is a QC (quick-change) aircraft, which can be converted in a freighter in a very short time.

I don't think, that LH is using this aircraft very much as a freighter. I remember that they were used pretty much for postal service and small cargo arround Europe when they were newer, but now, it's mainly used as a passenger aircraft. Or does anybody has other information?

Perhaps, this aircraft is simply too unprofitable, as there is an additional cargo-door and a stronger bottom installed. That all makes it heavier, so it needs more fuel? When they don't need it as a freighter anymore, it probably makes no more sense in their fleet...

What do you think?

Michael Meier
http://airways.ch

johnnybgoode

Mon May 28, 2001 3:27 am

well, what airways is saying makes a lot of sence and could very well be true. afaik, LH is really phasing out all its 733 "quick change".
however, i think except for one a319 which is leased to air malta this summer, LH´s leasing one 737 to some airline but i´m not sure on that one.
in addition, i once read one of the canadian airlines, don´t know if it was royal or canjet (well, by now its C3) would purchase 15 737s from Lufthansa but i don´t know if this deal is still alive and if, when the first aircraft will go to canada.

LH is poised to replace its 747-200 with a few 744s, which is exactly what they´ve being doing the last couple of years, and with a couple of a340-600s as soon as they enter the fleet beginning in july 2003.

rgds
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.