aerokiwi

Air New Zealand's BAe 146s

Mon May 28, 2001 6:38 am

With Air NZ announcing the introduction of the ex-Tasman Pacific BAe 146s, there's been some debate as to which routes they'll be flying. Well, I'm still wondering. I recall seeing on the nose of the aircraft the "operated by Mt Cook Airlines" logo, on the news, so I guess the aircraft will be confined to largely tourist routes, namely Rotorua and Queenstown. And it makes sense because tourist operators have been saying that the 146s are the perfect size for package tour groups which usually number about 40.

Someone said they will be deployed on trunk routes like AKL-WLG-CHC, but I doubt this, as it was reported in the Herald that Tasman Pacific management conceeded they were never going to be profitable on routes like WLG-CHC when the 737 was the opposition. So the 737 must be far more cost-effective on these services.

Anybody got anymore info on the matter?

Kiwi dave

RE: Air New Zealand's BAe 146s

Mon May 28, 2001 8:10 am

I believe that the 146's will be used on regional routes with them also used on the main thrunk as well but I am not sure this is what I have learned.
Can't wait for them to start flying.

TG992

Mon May 28, 2001 11:41 am

The 146s will mainly be deployed on the tourist type routes, but will also be operating off-peak trunk services when required.
-

Laserjet

Mon May 28, 2001 8:39 pm

Yes. They are intended to be used on the tourist routes, such as Rotorua and Queenstown, as well as the lower density trunk routes, such as Dunedin - Auckland etc...

airnewzealand

Tue May 29, 2001 10:46 am

Laserjet is right..
And by the way,AirNZ now operate the 733 and ATR72 on the CHC-WLG route. It must be a very low pax route!!

Cheers
mikey

Kiwi dave

Tue May 29, 2001 11:51 am

Well I was out at CHC this morning and saw 7 out of the BAe-146's and one of them was in Air New Zealand colours.
I was also wondering which one is not at CHC?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos