Buzz To Offer Discounts For Not Checking Bags

Tue May 29, 2001 6:05 pm

The KLMuk subsidiary Buzz http://www.buzzaway.com are to offer passengers a £10 voucher towards their next flight if they only take carry-on bags on their flights. They are reportedly looking into charging a per kilo fee at check-in in future. Is this the way to go for the "no-frill" operations ? I think it's great. I hate subsidising those idiots who take 2 huge suitcases away for a weekend break.

RE: Buzz To Offer Discounts For Not Checking Bags

Tue May 29, 2001 6:25 pm

Would this have anything to do with baggage load affecting fuel consumption?

Cheaper fares are of course, popular, but I suspect many pax who might need to bring hold-luggage will feel they are being ripped-off by having to pay for it.

Personally, I'm not affected, as I have never carried more than a large rucksack or sports bag when flying with the no-frills airlines, for a weekend break in Europe etc.

Rgds,
CP

Tue May 29, 2001 6:47 pm

PEOPLExpress did a similar thing - charged (I think) US$3 per checked bag. The problem, of course, is that pax will then try and get everything into their carryons - and if the airlines enforce the 7kg rule they will just upset them (as seen on Airline, featuring easyJet.

Tue May 29, 2001 9:18 pm

The plan is that eveyone will pay the same for their ticket but they will get a voucher to use on their next flight. They quoted fuel costs and the costs of retrieving and then forwarding lost baggage as well as handling.

The voucher scheme is deffinate but the per kilo charge is only at the idea stage at the moment.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos