Shamrock105
Topic Author

BA, Swissair, KLM Asia Etc Etc

Tue May 29, 2001 8:48 pm

Hey; just wondering why Brirish Airways, KLM, Swissair, and Air France have set up subsidiaries called British Asia Airways, Air France Asie, KLM Asia, and Swissair Asia etc to operate their flights to Taiwan??? The Swissair, and BA Aircraft even seem to have slightly different liveries.
Why is this operation unique to Taiwan????

Regards

swiss-airplane

RE: BA, Swissair, KLM Asia Etc Etc

Tue May 29, 2001 9:16 pm

Hi
I heard once that there are problems between Taiwan and Mainland China. And since all this airlines are also flying to China they can not alos flying under the same name to Taiwan. So those airlines founded a subsidary which can fly to Taiwan. Funny is that Lufthansa is not flying to Taipeih and one morning when I was at Zürich airport and the MD11 from Swissair Asia arrived a lot of German passengers left the plane. Good business for Swissair.
Greetings
Mike

Ndebele

Wed May 30, 2001 1:15 am

LH used to fly to Taiwan, using a 744 D-ABTD, which was in full Condor livery. During the Asia enonomic crisis, they stopped that flight.

l'espace180

Wed May 30, 2001 1:27 am

Air France also has a slightly different livery for Air France Asie, on the tail all the stripes are blue and well Asie is aded to the tittle.

Wed May 30, 2001 8:56 am

I remember QANTAS' "Australia Asia" SP

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Brian Wilkes

Click for large version

Photo © Roderick Brownham

Click for large version

Photo © Peter Sweetten / Flying Images Worldwide

And their 767

Click for large version

Photo © Brian Wilkes

Click for large version

Photo © Roderick Brownham

Used for taiwanese flights

ILOVEA340

Wed May 30, 2001 9:08 am

There are 2 swissair Asia MD-11's and they fly all over thge place. It is the same airline. The cabin anouncments on the Asia flts. do however specificaly say swissair asia just to be correct. I flew ZRH-SFO on a Swissair Asia MD-11 and most of the people did't even realize that the tail was painted differently. It's kind wierd.