YOERI1970
Topic Author

Flying Lufthansa

Wed May 30, 2001 6:27 pm

Next month I will be flying IAD-FRA on lufthansa on a 747-400
Any comments on service, seating etc on LH longhaul flights, so will know how to prepare myself... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

tanguy

Flying Longhaul....

Wed May 30, 2001 7:28 pm

Haven't flown LH longhaul, only Euro flights, however I've just circumnavigated the globe this month on holidays (trip report to follow) and a few tips are;
a) Request an aisle seat. It is a nightmare being stuck at a window in a B747 when you have to excuse yourself past two other pax when you need to get out and on a long haul flight you will need to get out!
b) Carry a small water bottle. Sip water regularly and refill it from the water 'fountain' throughout the flight. The body dehydrates quite quickly in the very dry aircraft environment.
c) Pack a 'chapstick' for dry lips. You might not need it but gee if you do then it is worth it's weight in gold! Also some light hand cream for dry skin can make life more comfortable on board.
d) Take some ear plugs. Some airlines provide them on request (eg QF) These greatly reduce the background noise from engines and air over the fuselage and definitely make it more peaceful on the long flights.
Hope you have a great trip! Cheers,
Mike.

Stretch 8

RE: Flying Lufthansa

Wed May 30, 2001 8:16 pm

I have been on LH #419 a (IAD-FRA) a couple of times in recent years, on a 742 and 744. I agree with the previous comment about an asile seat; like all other carriers across the ocean, LH really packs you in in coach. Even business class seemed crowded to me. Chances are you will leave and arrive on time, and the service will be German-efficient, nothing more.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Wed May 30, 2001 8:24 pm

Ah I like that flight LH419.
Have been on it myself.
This flight isn't too bad as it's only about 7 - 7.5h long. ASo not a real longhaul flight.
You will most likely like the comfortable seats. Service is decent.

Enjoy it,
B737-700

Wed May 30, 2001 8:51 pm

Flown Lufty B744 to NRT.

All I can say is that the Germans should come & teach the Brits a thing or two about running a public service efficiently! Big grin

Damn good service, very comfy cattle-class seats, very friendly pilots who offered me the jumpseat for landing in Tokyo, and left & arrived bang on time.

You should find the service very good.

Rgds,
CP

GeneralA

Wed May 30, 2001 10:40 pm

Hallo Capt. Picard....

do you have to fly first or business for being granted this "premium class seat" ?

Wed May 30, 2001 10:58 pm

Do you mean the j/s?

I requested a flightdeck visit which the Captain granted, and generally got on very well with the aircrew-they knew I was interested & offered me the chance to remain inside during the landing at NRT-which I accepted of course! Big grin

Rgds,
CP

argento

Wed May 30, 2001 11:43 pm

I flew 744 last january, from EZE to FRA and back,13 hr flying each flight.The service on board was excellent,ofering beverages all flight,including an orange juice before take off.Definitly choose an aisle seat.My opinion is that LH has a global excellent service.

star_member

Thu May 31, 2001 12:06 am

i flew LH 2 months ago singapore - frankfurt and frankfurt - bangkok, both very long haul and both on 747-400. compared to other airlines i've flow eg NZ, AN, SQ and TG, LH is pretty ordinary. The airplanes are very modern, yes, i was not delayed once but the service is very basic, very efficient but not very friendly. No menus, didn't get a choice for meals on both flights, no PTVs and not even a big screen at the front of the cabin. There were only monitors periodically down the plane. The seats are really new and big in economy but the leg room was less than others. Overall, nothing special. The intra europe flights were however pretty good though.

Thu May 31, 2001 12:19 am

I prefer other airlines, but they allow you on the fltdeck and as Cpt. Picard said, sometimes when you are lucky you get the jumpseat. A friend of mine was even able to sit in the F/Os seat for a minute or two a while back.
But if you prefer looking at a beautiful cabin crew, i'd recommend an asian carrier  Wink/being sarcastic
Thomas

lax2000

Thu May 31, 2001 12:48 am

LH is top notch! The best long haul airline I have flown on. That includes (VS, Air France, JAL, Iberia, United, Twa..and others) Great service, food and aircraft.

Have Fun!

lax2000

RE: Cabin Crew

Thu May 31, 2001 12:52 am

I disagree about the FA's. On my 4 LH flights I was served by VERY pretty woman and a couple handsome men, if thats your thing..

Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:01 am

it depends, i guess.....
on my intraeuropean flts i had some young and good looking FAs but on most long hauls i was not so lucky.....

flumuc

Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:05 am

I never had bad experience on my Lufthansa flights. The crew was always friendly, the food is/was excellent. Lufthansas A300 is the most comfortable plane I have ever flown with, the A340 is very nice, too.
Lufthansa is much better than British Airways, sadly LH is always a little more expensive  Smile

Have a nice flight with LH

Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:21 am

Hi Flumuc,

Just to let you know that for longhaul destinations, Air France & Lufthansa are often much cheaper than BA, when departing from the UK.

Rgds,
CP

jaumett

Fri Jun 01, 2001 6:26 am

I flew BCN-FRA-PEK on LH last summer and the service was very good, specially on the PEK-FRA return flight. Also, the flight was delayed for about three hours and we were given sandwiches and drinks at the gate. I thought that was relly nice, since there isn't much to do or see, or places to eat at PEK.

However, my sister has been on LH to Toronto and Chicago and never liked the f/a's service. She was travelling in a group of teenagers, maybe that's why she didn't get such a good service.

Hasta luego,

jt

PS: Whenever I check the price for a long haul flight from BCN, BA is usally more expensive than LH.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos