Arsenal@LHR
Topic Author

Why No United At Gatwick?

Fri Jun 01, 2001 11:46 pm

Why doesn't United airlines fly into Gatwick? AA, CO, DL USairways, TWA and Northwest al fly there. I know US airways TWA, Delta, continental and NWA fly there due to the Bermuda II agreement but United can fly there cant they. If so why dont they.?

Thanks
Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

ORD Boy 2

RE: Why No United At Gatwick?

Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:30 am

if the merger goes through they will be at gatwick

GOT

Sat Jun 02, 2001 1:42 am

In the choice between LGW and LHR the choice seem quite easy. LHR is bigger, has more connections, Star partner BMI is there, and they have better conections in to London City.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

Sat Jun 02, 2001 1:46 am

I believe that United does not have the authority to fly to Gatwick.

Regardless of the bias for LHR, you would think that, if they could, United would have entered this market long ago if only to impede AA's saturation of the London market.

767-322ETOPS

Sat Jun 02, 2001 2:00 am

They used to fly to LGW:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Bimbo

Anyone know why they left?

gkirk

Sat Jun 02, 2001 2:13 am

I heard that they were planning to start a DEN-LGW service.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

redraider

Sat Jun 02, 2001 2:14 am

767 Etops, I think that may have been a charter flight at Gatwick in 1983. UA did not serve London, or Europe for that matter, on a scheduled basis until they purchased PA's Heathrow rights in the early '90's.
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

dutchjet

Sat Jun 02, 2001 3:12 am

The reason is history. UA entered the London market by purchasing PAN AM's authorities and therefore got the very valuable rights to fly into Heathrow - under the Bermuda II Treaty, only 2 US carriers can fly into LHR, originally that was PA and TW, now its UA and AA. At one time, National Airlines also flew into Heathrow on its services from MIA.

The other US airlines introduced service to London, they could not get rights into Heathrow, due to the treaty, and started flying into Gatiwck instead. Note that AA flies from certain cities into Heathrow (mainly those that evolve from the TW authories plus Chicago as some kind of exception was made for that route) and other cities go into Gatwick (Dallas, Raleigh, for example).

This is a difficult issue between the UK and the US, as many US airlines would prefer LHR and would like to fly into that airport.

London's third airport is now served by a CO flight from EWR, and at one time AA operated ORD-STN, but that flight was cancelled quickly due to lack of interest.