gf-a330

Is Manchester Under Rated

Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:50 am

Manchester Airport, being the third largest in the UK always amaze's me with the number of airlines which serve it.

PIA, Emirates, Egypt Air, Malaysian, Singapore, Cathay, Continental, Delta, AA, Turkish plus all the other charters.

P.s. Royal Jordanian, Syrian Air, Kuwait Airways and Egypt all operate Haj flights. Further adding to the list of operators.

By far, outcasting Gatwick in the number of airlines

Yet it is not publicised as much.

Do you think MAN is underated. What are the reasons to this ? Size, passenger no.s, location, not being a BAA airport, etc.

Regds

GF-A330

Marco

RE: Is Manchester Under Rated

Sat Jun 02, 2001 3:20 am

Add to that list Air Canada, Aeroflot and numerous European airlines that serve MAN. Sadly El Al will be terminating service to MAN soon  Sad
Proud to be an Assyrian!

gkirk

Sat Jun 02, 2001 3:55 am

Marco, Aeroflot no longer serve MAN.
Yes MAN, i think is under-rated.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

EGGD

Sat Jun 02, 2001 4:07 am

Not Aeroflot but on my way home on Monday i did see a Tu-154 flying over Stockport.

Many other airlines too, Transjet, Excel airways, KLM, KLM uk, Sabena, Air France, Virgin Sun, Monarch, JMC, Airtours, Brittania, Air 2000, Air Hongkong, BA, Virgin, US Airways, SAS, BM city to City, BMI, Finnair, BEA, Lufthansa, Air Atlanta Icelandic, Air Scandic, Futura, BA Commuter and more that i can't think of.

Also better spotting places then LGW!

EGGD

deltairlines

Sat Jun 02, 2001 4:41 am

American and US Airways is on that list.

Speaking about Manchester, the Other Manchester (NH - MHT) is underrated, especially for being the fastest growing airport in the USA.

Jeff

Demoose

Sat Jun 02, 2001 5:42 am

I definately think Manchester is under-rated. It has a huge volume of European traffic and is the second biggest airport in the UK outside of London. For example, look at the longhaul airlines flying to/from Manchester:

American Airlines
British Airways
Delta
Continental
Singapore Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Cathay Pacific
Virgin Atlantic
US Airways
PIA
BMI British Midland
Emirates
Air Mauritius
Air Canada

What i'm trying to point out is that there is clearly demand (or profitability) outside London, as the majority of these airlines operate daily services to MAN. So I hope to see many more airlines flying into Manchester in the near future.

DEM
Take a ride...fly across the sky

Yossarian

Sat Jun 02, 2001 5:02 pm

MAN is a little tight as far as parking goes for wide-bodied aircraft, in my humble opinion. The opening of the second runway is great though, and should increase capacity tremendously.

Spotting site are tremendous at MAN as well.

bigmo747

Sun Jun 03, 2001 12:41 pm

I'm pretty sure Royal jordanian does not serve Manchester for Haj passengers-if u got that from somewhere plz post the source
thanks

Demoose

Sun Jun 03, 2001 7:37 pm

Take a ride...fly across the sky

bigmo747

Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:14 am

Thank u Demoose
regards

PerthGloryFan

Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:33 am

Yes, in my view MAN is under-rated.
For tourists from countries with lousy exchange rates with sterling, like us poor Aussies, it gives a cheaper entry point into the UK than expensive London.
We planned our RTW trip last year specifically to avoid London until the last few days of our time in the UK.
We flew Delta from JFK to MAN and travelled overland to London (where we caught the Eurostar to Paris), but DL no longer operate there as I understand it.
The terminal itself seemed quite nice, newish, clean, easy to find your way around, etc, and good train service, but it was a bloody long way to the station, especially at 0730 after a 6.5 hr red-eye flight, but 11 hrs on the body clock. Fortunately we had an early check in arranged at the Jury's Inn at Deansgate so we able to grab some sleep for a couple of hours from 0900.
My daughter looks like returning to the Midlands in early 2002 and is likely to enter via MAN to avoid London - probably SQ/LH PER-SIN-FRA-MAN or something like that.
PGF

gkirk

Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:47 am

DL do not fly to MAN from JFK, but still have a DAILY 777 service to Atlanta.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Pe@rson

Mon Jun 04, 2001 1:38 am

With reference to the various airlines which serve MAN, I'd like to add Uzbekistan Airways. Both Aeroflot and Tarom used to operate services from SVO and BUC respectively, but have since ceased to operate such flights. I've heard that SU are considering re-commencing the SVO-MAN schedule using the Yak 42. I do however think this routing would be better operated by the 734...
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Mon Jun 04, 2001 1:46 am

I think MAN has terrific potential-the city itself is desperately trying to join the "global network of places/World Cities" economists keep banging on about, and it's cultural distinctiveness (in more areas than one, or so I am lead to beleive... Big grin ), is another card it can play to it's advantage.

Then you've got the Lake District, the Pennines etc.

I think it needs to be topped off with a direct, non-stop high-speed rail link with Birmingham & London ( & perhaps Edinburgh)-in addition to the air shuttles.

Rgds,
CP

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos