Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

World Airways

Sat Jun 02, 2001 5:49 am

I'm interested in working for World Airways in the near future. Does anyone out there have any information about them and their operation? I like the fact that it's a variety of flying in heavy aircraft. What are the schedules like? I'm guessing they're long trips. What kind of time do they look for (121/135 etc...) and what are the realistic times to get called? What's the future like for the company? Thanks for any other information.

teahan

RE: World Airways

Sat Jun 02, 2001 5:54 am

Hello,

Try http://www.pprune.org You most probably will get better replies.

Hopel that helps!

Jeremiah

wjcandee

Sat Jun 02, 2001 6:03 am

There's a wonderful article in the "World History" part of the World Airways web site at www.worldair.com It gives this carrier's interesting and storied past. World recently moved its headquarters to Atlanta, and is now run by Hollis Harris, a legendary airline executive. Its MD11 fleet seems close to fully-utilized these days, and its passenger DC10s are also in good use. This is largely the result of World's having regained its position as a primary provider of airlift to the US military, and succesfully marketing itself to a few cruise companies and for subservice to at least one international airline. However, it had planned to move aggressively into the cargo charter side, and acquired a couple of DC10s from Continental for conversion to freighters. Rumour has it that those are currently sitting around in the slow economy, and it's anyone's guess how that is going to affect the balance sheet, which otherwise would likely have been improving, in my view. It has stabilized some things, like maintenance costs; it recently entered into a power-by-the-hour engine maintenance agreement on its MD11s with Delta, which adds some predictability, and Delta will also do much of its heavy maintenance work on the MD11s.

The Yahoo! board on WLDA is, in my view, quite negative, and dominated by some negative posters who seem to confuse success and viability as an airline with a sterling stock price. World is unlikely to be a monster moneymaker any time real soon, in my view, but I also think that they will hang on, doing what they do well, for some time, unless the expenses associated with the cargo expansion kill them. (I doubt this to be the case, assuming that the lease prices on their DC10s are as low as I would expect them to be in the current market for old 3-holers.) Just my 2 cents, of course.

--Bill

ILOVEA340

Sat Jun 02, 2001 9:06 am

They don't do scedualed any more but you most likely knew that.

410 seat MD-11!!!!!! Damn that a lot of seats!!!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos