Landing Gear Fails On QF Flight

Sat Jun 02, 2001 10:11 pm

Latest Qantas news. All comments welcome.

Landing gear fails on Qantas flight
From AAP
02jun01

19:30 (AEST) PASSENGERS on a Qantas flight to Melbourne got a scare today when the front landing gear failed and had to be lowered manually by the pilot.

A Qantas spokeswoman said a Boeing 737 from Brisbane experienced a problem lowering the front nose wheel on approach to Melbourne about 11am.

She said the pilot notified passengers that a warning light had come on and there was an indication of a problem.

The jet then circled while the pilot manually lowered the landing gear, and the aircraft landed about 20 minutes late.

The spokeswoman said the 72 passengers on board remained calm throughout the drama.

The aircraft's nose wheel mechanism was tonight being checked by Qantas engineers.

hkgspotter1

RE: Landing Gear Fails On QF Flight

Sat Jun 02, 2001 10:13 pm

At least the guys at QF noticed the gear was not down !!!!!!

Sat Jun 02, 2001 10:17 pm

I do not that big of a deal, I have had gear not come down before. Pretty standard stuff!
Iain

sxmarbury33

Sun Jun 03, 2001 12:10 am

Iain What kind of plane do you fly? Maybe it is common on a GA aircraft like a seminole that the gear not coming down is "pretty standard stuff" but on a 737 i would call it abnormal at the least. It sounds like they used the Alt landing gear extention but lets say the lights failed for some reason and they landed anyway with a nose gear failure. In a 737 going lets say 134 knots all sorts of things could go wrong.

Sun Jun 03, 2001 12:58 pm

Surprise to come across such a poor respond from this topic. Maybe everryone was concentrating on the ANZ take over.

RAAFController

Sun Jun 03, 2001 3:30 pm

Thats really interesting, I hadn't heard about it.

There have been a few AN flights over the past few years with the same problem....except AN tend to make a "habit" of landing without the gear down.....such as the 743 at SYD....oh well, guess QF just have to catch up to AN in this department. HA HA (sic)

IainHol, I wouldn't say that the gear not coming down on a jetliner is 'fairly standard stuff!'

What sort of aircraft do you fly? B/c if you are flying GA aircraft and the gear is not coming down on a regular basis, i'd be hiring my aircraft from somewhere else!

v jet

Sun Jun 03, 2001 4:17 pm

Phileo, what response were you looking for? Horrified hysteria much like the news reports at the moment in Australia when an acft goes u/s be it Qantas or Ansett.
It was handled by the crew in textbook fashion, what more is there to say?

Sun Jun 03, 2001 7:17 pm

sxmarbury33 I am not sure how often it happens however it is something the have probably practice numerous times in the sim.
Iain

QantasAirways

Sun Jun 03, 2001 7:25 pm

Quite tragic!
Lucky Qantas found out!
Australian Aviation doesn't look too good lately!

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

Sun Jun 03, 2001 7:37 pm

>>Quite tragic!<<
There is nothing tragic about that. No one was hurt, nothing really exciting happend to it!
The tragedy yesterday was the Vampire crash at Biggin Hill, 2 men lost their life!
Iain