Question On Kai Tak

Thu Jun 03, 1999 12:26 am

I've just landed on runway 31 in Kai Tak (FS of course), it's much easier that a runway 13 landing. Why didn't they use runway 31 for landings?

RE: Question On Kai Tak

Thu Jun 03, 1999 12:37 am

If there is a wind, then planes have to land so that the wind is a headwind, not a tailwind. At Kai Tak, it so happens that the wind usually comes in from such a direction that it would be a tailwind it hey landed on rwy 31. Therefore they had to land on rwy 13 most of the time.

David L

Thu Jun 03, 1999 12:53 am

First of all, I'm not a pilot but I've seen landings done on 31 many years ago. I can't remember any take-offs - perhaps take-offs had to be on 13 due to noise regulations, I just can't remember. But, given the amount of traffic and how closely spaced the aircraft were, I'd imagine it would normally have been impossible to have take-offs and landings in opposite directions - there just wouldn't have been enough time or room.

LSZH

Thu Jun 03, 1999 5:41 am

As said, landings were according to the wind conditions. Prevailing winds however meant that 13 was used more often than not. On my first visit there the landing was on 13 but the take off was on 31, right over the city - also tremendously spectacular. Pity that it is now a part of history.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos