Why Switching Flight Number Occasionally?

Tue Jun 05, 2001 12:35 pm

I am wondering that why do some major US airlines switches their flight number so occasionally. (like switching flight numbers every 3-6 months; especially their Domestic flight, although some international flights are also involved)

For example: NW's NRT-TPE flt in 1998 is NW011/012. But in 2001 (currently) the flt becomes NW007/008.

Another example: TW's YVR-STL flt in 2000 are 10 and 58x series. In 2001, it becomes 590/640

I also noticed that some airlines switches flight numbers involving code-share flights.

Any one know why airlines switches their flight number so occasionally? Don't airline usually switches flight number after a fatal crash?

iahcsr

RE: Why Switching Flight Number Occasionally?

Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:13 pm

CO seems to do this quite a bit on domestic flights. But from my point of view, the numbers stay the same, but the destinations change; IE, CO 1507 has operated MCOIAH for about a year, but where it goes from IAH has changed at least three times since the first of the year. I think it currently ops MCOIAHAUS, before that it was MCOIAHSFO, etc. A fairly large number of flights follow this same pattern.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos