aerokiwi

Air NZ/Ansett To LHR Via Hong Kong?

Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:59 am

I couldn't find any threads on this, but I read recently in the NZ Herald that Air NZ would begin daily flights from Auckland to Hong kong before the end of the year, flying onwards to London. If this is true, I think it will involve both NZ and AN aircraft flying to Hong Kong from their respective cities in Australian and New Zealand, with the Ansett aircraft flying onwards to London. This would create the brand awareness that Ansett needs in the UK/Europe, and would make a nice alternative to having to get on those packed flights between the South Pacific and LA.

A good strategy I think. Also, I've been thinking how the 2 brands can be more closely integrated and I came up with the following:

1) "Pacific Wave" applied to all Ansett aeroplanes as well

2) Having the same shades of blue/teal on the tail, either Ansett adopting Air NZ's colours, or vice versa, but retaining the separate logos. Personally, I think the Ansett shades are better, although, this would involve altering the colours used for the "Pacific Wave"

3) Creating a single regional brand name across NZ and Australia. The current "Link" name might be out because of Qantas recent moves, but that's no bad thing.

Any thoughts from anyone???

hkgspotter1

RE: Air NZ/Ansett To LHR Via Hong Kong?

Wed Jun 06, 2001 9:53 am

Its already been talked about.

Al

Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:01 pm

Ansett can't fly from HKG-LHR as it's an Australian airline - the traffic rights were granted to a N.Z. carrier under the HKG-N.Z. bilateral. But it was discussed in depth about 2 weeks ago including the distance factor (v's via the current routing) and all the rest of it.
Cheers/Regards. Al.

hkgspotter1

Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:14 pm

QF are going to start flights from HKG to LHR !!

QantasAirways

Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:20 pm

I don't see why they need to integrate their scheme.
The Ansett scheme is fine... and just think what would happen IF Qantas took over AirNZ (though it's very much not likely).
Would you want them to change AirNZ colours to red?
Just something to think about.
Its fine the way it is.

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

aerokiwi

Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:08 pm

I've just found the old topic thread. It seems like an interesting development. Thanks for your replies though.

Oz777

Wed Jun 06, 2001 7:35 pm

Hkgspotter: Where did you get the info that QF are starting HKG-LHR flights?

I have seen no mention of the granting of 5th freedom rights to QF - are you sure it is not a code share with BA?
Oz777

MEA

Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:49 pm

I don't think QF or any Australian carrier has 5th freedom rights between Hong Kong & London.

This is something QF has unsuccessfully been trying to obtain for a number of years.