Embassy Personnel And Diplomats

Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:59 am

How to embassy personnel and diplomats/ambassadors travel? Do they have their own private/goverment aircraft or do they fly in the carrier of their country? What if their national airline does not serve the country where they are posted? Thanks!

kevin

RE: Embassy Personnel And Diplomats

Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:14 pm

As far as I know enbassy personnel travel with regular airlines. Only ministers and official delegations use private and government aircraft. Hope this helps

PanAm747

Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:27 pm

My friend's dad works for the UN and flew the Concord on business, and other carriers but usually in F class.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:32 pm

Regular airlines.

Depending on position, Economy, Business or First.

This is also the case for delegates of supranational organizations such as the UN.

Rgds,
CP

neder99

Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:33 pm

It depends on the government's policy on travel. I know that for many countries, the embassy personnel have to find the cheapest possible deal, and that includes the ambassador. Many governments think that the extra money you paid for business/first is just a waste of money that could otherwise be used for better things!
rgds,
n99

NoUFO

Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:56 am

> Many governments think that the extra money you paid for business/first is > just a waste of money that could otherwise be used for better things!

Nice. On the other hand, my girlfriend always gets a free upgrade from Business to First. When she then arrives in P* (I better don't mention the country) she can stay a little longer in the plane (This goes like this and always caughts the curiosity of a number of people : *dingdong* "Mrs K. is asked to stay ...")
No checks or whatever burden ...
BTW: It is not my better half who is working at an embassy herself - but her aunt.

NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

TonyBurr

Thu Jun 07, 2001 11:16 am

I think American diplomats are required to travel American lines when possible.

Kuba74

Sat Jun 09, 2001 2:45 pm

They travel with regular carriers, usually in businness. Polish policy on travel by diplomats is that they should fly LOT if possible.

Carioca Canuck

Sat Jun 09, 2001 3:08 pm

The foreign consulate staff that I am acquainted with told me they fly C or Y and often upgrade to first. Most of them holding E or SE status (Star Gold) on Air Canada.