Lubicon
Topic Author

New Air CAnada Service For Yeg?

Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:59 am

I know many of us have complained about new service (or lack of) by Air Canada out of Edmonton. I just stumbled on this moments ago - new service YEG - Santa Fe, New Mexico. Surely this can't be correct. I've seen no mention of this elsewhere and Santa Fe seems to be an extremely unlikely destination from any Canadian city, let alone YEG. Did I miss something or have the AC marketing gurus stumbled onto a new and previously hidden market. Here is a copy of the press release.

----------------------------------------

a dozen new secondary routes between Canada and the United States to help the airline fly through a difficult economic period.

Although the U.S. air travel market has slowed considerably, Milton said Tuesday that experience suggests the Montreal-based airline can fill small jets and make a profit by providing direct links so travellers can avoid major travel hubs.

The latest such route, Toronto-Kalamazoo, Mich., began service Monday, while others to be added this month include service between Toronto and Norfolk, Va., Greenville, S.C., and Charleston, S.C., and between Edmonton and Santa Fe, N.M.

N737MC

RE: New Air CAnada Service For Yeg?

Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:13 am

Gosh... AC to Santa Fe. NM...LOL ahem..... sorry...  Smile  Smile

That does not sound right, and plus what is in Santa Fe? Absolutely nothing. I live in Denver and go to Albuquerqe all the time by means of driving and stop in Santa Fe. The population is not very big and I cant imagine there would be anyone that would fly from Santa Fe to YEG.

Edmonton might be a popular destination for travellers going to West Edmonton Mall, and a few other things, but thats about it. I could see Albuquerqe with service but not Santa Fe.

I think passenger loads would be very low, unless there are that many people in Edmonton that would want to go there, and same the other way.

If it did go i could see the CRJ ran down there.

Thats all i have to say, voice your opinions on this "weird" service.

Aaron Mandolesi

Denver Colorado/Edmonton Alberta

JetCaptain

Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:31 am

Lubicon,

It's San Francisco, not Sante Fe. Insane

http://micro.newswire.ca/releases/April2001/26/c8570.html/13213-0

JC

polaris

Fri Jun 08, 2001 4:42 am

I read the same "Santa Fe" article. Unfortunately, it appears to be another article written before appropriate research was done.

matt

Fri Jun 08, 2001 5:47 am

It is indeed the new YEG-SFO service starting June 29

AC 3507 YEG-SFO 1530-1720 (737)
AC 3506 SFO-YEG 1800-2145 (737)
Next flights: YQM-YOW-YOW / YQM-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-YQM / YQM-YUL-LYS-BRU-YUL-YQM / YQM-PUJ-YQM