hkg_clk

Pilots' Language

Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:35 pm

I find it impossible to understand what pilots are saying when they use RT. What's 'Golf charlie delta strength five taxi via charlie and hold at bravo four for zero four'?

Can someone explain? Are there any websites to learn this kind of codes from?
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

sushka

RE: Pilots' Language

Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:51 pm

The golf, charlie, delta, are simply words for each letter. golf is G charlie is C delta is D and so on. They do it so leters can be understood better and so there will be no mix ups.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

OH-LZA

Sat Jun 09, 2001 9:29 pm

Here's the list:

A=Alpha
B=Bravo
C=Charlie
D=Delta
E=Echo
F=Foxtrot
G=Golf
H=Hotel
I=India
J=Juliet
K=Kilo
L=Lima
M=Mike
N=November
O=Oscar
P=Papa
Q=Quebec
R=Romeo
S=Sierra
T=Tango
U=Uniform
V=Victor
X=X-Ray
Y=Yankee
Z=Zulu

Alexander

Sat Jun 09, 2001 9:42 pm

Also taxiways are anmed by letters. So to break down what you wrote:
'Golf charlie delta' This is the aircraft ID the controller says this so the pilot knows who he is speaking to.
'strength five ' Never heard it.
taxi via charlie and hold at bravo four' These are just directions to get to his desired. It is like saying take the 405 to the 91. He has been told to hold short Bravo 4 (another taxiway) which means he is a loowed to approach that intersection but is not allowed on taxiway Bravo 4.
'for zero four' I am also not sure what this is, there would normaly be something after the 'for' i.e. gate, runway, stand, this would be just confirming they are on the same wave length and there has been no mis communication about where he wants to go.
Iain

mightyfalcon

Sat Jun 09, 2001 11:03 pm

In order to complete the preceeding answers, I would say that "strength 5" is part of a code used between pilots and air traffic controllers to describe to quality of radio transmissions and receptions.
The rating goes from 1 to 5, the latter being the best quality one. We don't usually give that information in every single transmission. In this particular example given by Hkg_clk it's impossible to find out who's calling who but definetely it is at least the second time the call has been made without getting answered: Let's say the ATC has called the pilot to give him his taxiing clearance and didn't get any answer. Then, the ATC gives the pilot his clearance again asking how this one was receiving. The answer from the pilot would be "Strength 5" and a read back of the clearance given.
G-CD is the registration of the aircraft and if the ATC used the proper phraseology, G would be the first letter and CD, the last two ones. In this case, we are talking about a plane registered in the UK (G as first lettre).
To make a difference with the runways' designations, which always are two figures (giving the orientation of the runway) and to avoid any confusion from the pilots between runways and taxiways, the latter are exclusively named with either a lettre (Alpha, Bravo....) or a combination of lettre and figure(s) depending on the importance of the airport.
For instance: Taxiway Alpha, Alpha1, Alpha12....
Now that you have all the details, here is the translation of the transmission given by Hkg_clk:
" G-CD, (receiving you) strength 5, Taxi via (taxiway) C and hold at (holding point on taxiway) B4 for (a take-off runway) 04.
Sorry for being a bit long on this matter.:o
The sky has no limit...

modesto2

Sun Jun 10, 2001 2:51 am

MightyFalcon is correct. "Strength 5" refers to the clarity of the radio transmissions. In this case, the transmissions are loud and clear. I don't hear this very often, but I've heard it when a controller is trying to call an aircraft (with no response). Then, the controller will ask the pilots..."how do you read?"