wilcharl

The "Critter" Is Alive And Well, Found Live In UK

Sun Jun 10, 2001 2:46 am

Has anyone noticed that our friend the "critter" that disapered during the Airtran merger is living in the UK with RyanAir?

I am going to be flying Ryanair, and was shocked when I saw the critter, a little heavier wearing sunglasses. Glad to see he is doing well.

On the serious side, both VJ and Ryanair use HP openskies, and both had southwest style boarding

http://www.ryanair.com/images/planesmall.gif

Matt D

RE: The "Critter" Is Alive And Well, Found Live In UK

Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:15 am

I always said that the Euro carriers lacked originalty (with the exception of the BA World Images) and had to resort to theft from the States for their ideas.

By the way, the fact that they "borrowed" a tainted design that is equated with disaster and incompetence proves that the people of Ryanair are not only living on another continent, they are living on another planet.

Mac

RE: The "Critter" Is Alive And Well, Found Live In

Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:27 am

Please explain 'Critter'.

TWA717_200

Sun Jun 10, 2001 4:08 am

I thought that AirTran still used the "critter" call sign.

srbmod

Sun Jun 10, 2001 4:14 am

Critter was the callsign Valujet used. The logo/mascot was "Critter". As for AirTran's callsign, it is in fact "Citrus", not "Critter". Below is a good shot of the famous "Critter":

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

Sun Jun 10, 2001 4:21 am

Airtran's Call Sign is: CITRUS

The Critter for Valujet was the better and original critter. Ryanair's Critter is UGLY and they need to stop copying Mike Phillips's and Mike Kerley's Critter Design

Mike Phillips and Mike Kerley designed the Critter for Valujet.

RYANAIR is just an Irish Copycat of AER LINGUS. AER LINGUS is Much Better.

Any airline that would copy the critter and steal him from the grave is a bad airline

Critter, R.I.P. in the everglades

RE: The

Sun Jun 10, 2001 4:23 am

>>RYANAIR is just an Irish Copycat of AER LINGUS. AER LINGUS is Much Better.<<

Errr, no.

For starters, FR is a no-frills airline.

You need to do some research!

CP

shamrock104

Sun Jun 10, 2001 5:38 am

Did anyone happen to see the version of the valujet website that was hacked some years back? They replaced the "critter" logos with pictures of planes on fire and in the section about valujet's mission statement, they changed it completely, it was very sarcastic and humourous.

Sun Jun 10, 2001 6:32 am

>>I always said that the Euro carriers lacked originalty (with the exception of the BA World Images) and had to resort to theft from the States for their ideas.<<

Which country was the airline out of that put PTV's in all economy class seats first? Free economy ticket when traveling first class? Limo to the airport? Drive through check in? ect.
Iain

Sun Jun 10, 2001 6:39 am

I forgot to mention Concorde!
Iain

Sun Jun 10, 2001 6:49 am

I never thought I'd say this [gulp] ... but I agree with Iainhol!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

It's usually the Brits that come up with the inventions - TV, radar, jet engines, telephones, tarmacadam to name but a few... not the Yanks! The Yanks can't even make it to a war on time, for goodness sake!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

LZ-TLT

European Airlines Lacking Originality?

Sun Jun 10, 2001 7:01 am

Matt D,

skidded off the runway with your posting. If european airlines were lacking originality, what about these liveries:

Buzz (KLM UK) - the "daisy" livery. As it was never existent
Crossair - HATS OFF to their special Saab 2000 Liveries
Malmö Aviation - the WebWare liveries
British Midland - altough their new livery is awfull, it is a good experiment as well

last (but not least) - the BA "world tails"

And, if US airlines were THAT INNOVATIVE with their liveries, why do we see only stubborn variations on their liveries? Take American Airlines for example - bare metal and almost no paint, for their entire history. As if they never had a good idea. Delta - I don't know if they really do every little thing awkwardly, but they do it so at least when it comes to liveries. IMHO, the ONLY two US airlines to introduce some smart and more colorfull livery were Braniff and ProAir

wilcharl

RE: The "Critter" Is Alive And Well, Found Live In

Sun Jun 10, 2001 8:30 am

i have to love the european inovation, Selling meals on flights great IDEA i would be glad to pay for food in flight. id love to buy a cheap ticket, and hten when i get on the plane if i want food pay for it... people say the euro airlines prices are high for munchies in flight, but when you look @ the cost involved in getting a coke to a pax @35,000 feet i dont mind paying

Sun Jun 10, 2001 8:40 am

>>in getting a coke to a pax @35,000<<

I read somewhere that if a can of coke goes accross the Atlantic everyday for a month it costs the airline $3 in jet fuel!
Iain

wilcharl

Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:16 am

judging by the age of the coke ive got on a f light on a certain american owened airline, (i only made the mistake of flying an ameircan airline to europe once) they must loose alota $$$