United Airline
Topic Author

Has Qantas Ever Lost A Single Passenger?

Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:21 am

Qantas has never been involved in a 'real' accident. A serious one I mean..........

And I believe Qantas has never lost a single passenger before. Can anyone confirm that?

Regards.

B747-437B

RE: Has Qantas Ever Lost A Single Passenger?

Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:53 am

My uncle got lost while connecting at Melbourne last year. Does that count?
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

watewate

Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:57 am

It depends on what your standard of 'real' accident is. Qantas is undoubtly one of the safest airlines in the world- but it has had its share of accidents. I recall an extensive damage to 747 that cost them a bundle to get it airworthy again. I'm sure other forum members will elaborate on the details.

BlueJet

Sun Jun 10, 2001 12:01 pm

Didnt someone die of deep vein thrombosis on a Qantas flight? Or was that another?

GARUDAROD

Sun Jun 10, 2001 12:04 pm

QANTAS had a B747-400 slide off the runway in
Bangkok last year in heavy rain. The aircraft was out
of service for about 6months but was repaired.
No fatalities but a few people got hurt sliding down the
emergency chutes...
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

tim

Sun Jun 10, 2001 12:17 pm

AFAIK QF have not lost a passenger to a crash etc. But obviously some people over 80 years of flying might have had Heart attacks etc on board.
Also DVT.

Tim/Australia

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun Jun 10, 2001 1:18 pm

Hi Tim! Long time no see!

Qantas is no doubt one of the safest carrier on earth

jmc1975

Sun Jun 10, 2001 1:26 pm

Yeah....definately no crash! Definately not! 'Course shower's in the bathroom. Yeah....Qantas never crashed.

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun Jun 10, 2001 1:31 pm

They have never crashed indeed.

TAA_Airbus

Sun Jun 10, 2001 2:29 pm

No one has died onboard from DVT, someone died as a result of it. But that person wasnt very healthy I must add.

Oz777

Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:23 pm

Soprry to disillusion you all folks, but yes Qantas has crashed, and yes they have lost passengers.

They have not had a passenger fatality as a result of their Jet operations, but during the war years they lost several aircraft.

prior to that, in their early years, crashes and injuries were quite common.

As to crashes, well what do define as a "crash" . To me it is a incident, while the aircraft was under the control of the pilot, where damage was caused rendering the aircraft unfit to fly.

QF have had plenty of those. As an example, a L1049 written off in the Maldives. I have a photo of a QF DC-4 that landed at Norfolk Island without it's nose gear, and caused a fair amount of damage.

Oz777

ILOVEA340

Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:42 pm

in many of the minor incedents more people get injured by aircraft safetyu equitment (slides) than the incedent itself. Please people is it really that had to slide (jump) down one of those slides? I have done it and there is nothing to it.

Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:45 pm

Sorry to disillusion you all folks, but yes Qantas has crashed, and yes they have lost passengers.

Yes, Qantas DID lost/crashed 2 jets, but no one died.

A L1049 written off in the Maldives.

It's not Maldives, it's Mauritius.

Here are the info:
http://aviation-safety.net/database/1949/490407-0.htm
http://aviation-safety.net/database/1960/600824-1.htm

But back in those days, it's kind of "common" that you heard plane crashed occasionally, perhaps once a week or month.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:58 pm

This post with the same topic has been discussed before.

Goodbye
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

The Coachman

Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:59 pm

The reason some people were injured on QF 1 at BKK about 18 months ago was because since the nose gear collapsed, the tail was extremely high. Therefore, people at the rear of the aircraft had to slide down at a very steep angle whereas the people at the front almost couldn't slide down at all because the angle was not steep enough there. The very steep angle caused some injuries as pointed out earlier.

Regards,

The Coachman
M88, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 73H, 742, 743, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 773, 77W, 320, 332, 333, 345, 388, DH8, SF3 - want

EIPremier

Sun Jun 10, 2001 4:44 pm

Qantas has lost plenty of single passengers. My uncle vowed never to fly Qantas again after they lost his reservation on a recent trip. He isn't married, so indeed Qantas has indeed lost a single passenger...

aria

Sun Jun 10, 2001 5:20 pm

Well, it depends on how you look at it...sometimes we lose them, & sometimes they lose us (usually getting lost in the duty free shop...so, really, it was the SHOP that lost them, not us!)...and, it is nice to think that our flights are so full that, even with a lost reservation, someone could not get on!
Haven't yet checked out the websights mentioned earlier, in my eagerness to track down the truth here..sorry...but, a quick 'phone call to my dear Dad (Qantas pilot for 31 years ...but may have had a quiet scotch or two, when I 'phoned):
No.1: It wasn't the Maldives, it was Mauritius....where Captain ****(name supplied, but withheld) aborted, or, in today's parlance, rejected a take-off in heavy rain, and overran the runway...but nobody was "lost".
No 2: The last loss of passengers occured after WW2, but before the introduction of the Constellation (the "Super Connie" - what a machine!), when bombers were converted to passenger aircraft, and a Lancastrian disappeared over the Indian Ocean, on the Perth-Colombo run...carried about 8 or 10 passengers...aircraft never found...
Not a completely unblemished record, but one to be fairly in awe of (in terms of maintaining the standard)..&,please excuse my grammar!
Regards
Aria

Al

Urban Myths And Facts

Sun Jun 10, 2001 5:32 pm

Yes, it is an Urban Myth. Yes, as Oz777 has correctly posted, QF have indeed lost passengers and crew in the past to *incidents* - a total of 93 souls over the years. While all of them were mainly in the 30's/40's, it is also true they have lost nobody in a "pure-jet operated incident". As for United Airline (the poster in this thread) assertation they are safest, statistics have to be taken at face value. Would you believe that the "old" Aeroflot had a safety record almost on par with QF? Yes, we all read the regular "Aeroflot Crashes" headlines every so often in the papers, but consider that in those days, Aeroflot had a fleet of over 2,800 airframes (compared with QF's 30-40 odd) and the amount of flying Aeroflot did compared to QF's was what, 200, 400, 600 times greater? Aeroflot of old contained everything from crop dusters in Siberia to the Intercontinental Aeroflot International fleet - the latter did indeed have an excellent record. The headlines we kept seeing were about the poorly run internal/domestic divisions of Aeroflot. Also take into consideration until 1993, QF were an International carrier only operating mainly long haul routes - most of their airframes had only 2 or 3 rotations per day and the operating environment in Australia is one of clear skies (traffic wise) and wide open spaces, again lessening the chances. When you compare the number of airframes, against number of daily rotations for QF against even say UA, how can the figures be read the same??!! They can't mathematically, so it's very much a case of statistic, figures and damn lies !!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Oh - and for the record, the International division of CAAC/Air China has only lost one passenger in an incident over 40 years. The old internal/domestic divisions, like Aeroflot, were a different matter entirely. When all is said and done, QF *do* have an enviable reputation for safety and used to have a maintenance regime and corporate attitude to safety that was second to none.
Cheers. Al.

v jet

Sun Jun 10, 2001 5:39 pm

Al, how is the maintenance regime now not "second to none"?

Sun Jun 10, 2001 7:54 pm

Didn't they loose some props pre-WWII?
Iain

go canada!

Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:09 pm

being involved during the war does not mean to say that that counts as a civil aviation jet passenger loss

sorry to 'burst your bubble'
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

PerthGloryFan

Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:55 pm

I don't think Southwest have had a fatal aircraft crash, so given their fleet size, pax uplift and number of cycles, the numbers would probably show them as the safest airline flying today.
There were no fatalites from the QF Mauritius crash but there were some horrific burn injuries.
I can't find any definitive reference but I seem to also recall QF losing a DHC-6 Twin Otter in Papua New Guinea in the late 1960s, but it may have been TAA (which became Australian which was merged with QF).
Of course this begs the question - are TAA's losses now Qantas's?
PGF

Al

Mon Jun 11, 2001 7:15 am

V-jet, in answer to your question, there are several reasons. I'm not saying it's no longer a "safe" maintenance or a low maintenance standard at all - just that it's no longer the extremely high strict regime it used to be. That it is still a high maintenance standard is a given. The loss of the large apprectice in-house groups, the transferring of some of it offshore, the "new" maintenance base in MEL that came with the Taa-taa's purchase etc. Much harder to control exactly what is going on when so much of it now is spread all over the place rather than being concentrated with one team in one place with the very experienced management/leadership ladder that was once in place. Commercial pressures are also in place - I vividly remember my first O/S trip when I was a tacker, coming home from Europe to Melbourne we landed in Sydney (of course - still Sydney Airways in those days !!). Then we didn't leave Sydney for 4 hours due to a warning light on a non-critical piece of equipment. Captain announced on P.A. that they could fly, but they would stay in Sydney to check it out. These days if it's not on a M.E.L. checklist, then they'd probably go and have it looked at it MEL when the craft was on down time there anyway.
Go Canada - QF operated extensively during the war years with civil operations. They also did many charters for the Government carrying officials/troops. Never did they operate as a military carrier - the RAAF did that line of work. What's your point??

Cheers/Regards. Al.

Oz777

Mon Jun 11, 2001 10:55 pm

Al, as far as "Go Canada!" is concerned, I would suggest that he re-reads the thread and the answers to it.

Regrettably this is not the first time that instead of reading all the sentence, he has launched out and made an ass of himself.

I believe the thread was "Has QF never lost a passenger" - nothing about ONLY jet operations. Thanks for your timely and concise notes. I concede Mauritius, I was thinking of holidays in some quiet place away from aircraft

Oz777

go canada!

Mon Jun 11, 2001 11:24 pm

im sorry if the semantics of the question are too much..

"They have not had a passenger fatality as a result of their Jet operations, but during the war years they lost several aircraft."

I was simply pointing out that 'the war years' should not count when discussing Qantas losing a passenger.I believe that AI successfully dispelled the urban myths realting to qantas. Im sorry if that was unclear.

Speaking of quite places, dont go to st martin in the cabribbean sea, the filghtpath is on the beach so when your are sunbathing you literally have planes overhead and i mean very low over head.

Maurituis is a lovely place, the airlines quite fun too, unlike some of the airlines that fly to the maldives(yes i have experined the delights of air lanka and air india), so have fun booking booking your holiday to mauritius

It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

AF007

Tue Jun 12, 2001 5:49 am

Hey friends and enemies,

I hate having to look like an assh*le, but I can't take it any more.

QUITE is not equal to QUIET.

Goodbye.

QantasAirways

Tue Jun 12, 2001 8:38 am

Luckily QF is one of the safest airlines in the world and has not lost a single passenger in the last few years.

Regards
QF
Spirit of Australia

QANTASforever

We Are Missing Something Here...

Tue Jun 12, 2001 2:19 pm

Which Qantas are we speaking of anyway?
Qantas Empire Airways or Qantas airways Limited.
I think that the aviation industry has come a long way since the days of QEA. I believe that we need to look at the fact that airlines simply were not as technologically advanced as they are today (as safety goes), and also many airlines had a much worse record in the old days (1915-1960's) compared to Qantas. So its not fair to judge an airline on a record of unsafety 70 years old before the age of universal modern safety standards. It is such a shame that airlines can change for the better but people will always think the same.

So if we are thinking that the airline that exists today as a result of a former one is to blame for past loss of life, then are we to blame British Airways for the misfortunes suffered by BOAC?
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

QantasAirways

Tue Jun 12, 2001 2:27 pm

In that case, if your talking about Qantas Airways Limited, then they have NEVER had a fatal crash.

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia