padcrasher

Pilots And Dangerous Goods

Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:44 pm

Why are pilots given the right to refuse to accept totally legal and safe amouts of DG on their flights? I fully understand that Pilot's should have the final say as to what goes onboard if they feel that it does not meet regulations, but they can refuse to accept any DG no matter if it fully comply's with FAA guidlines. During times of contract negotiations, I've seen them refuse piddly amounts of dry ice and jet engines shipped according to FAA regs.

ha2vegas

RE: Pilots And Dangerous Goods

Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:27 pm

Pilot in Command.
That's it...and how it should be.

Buff

RE: Pilots And Dangerous Goods

Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:54 pm

http://www.iataonline.com/shop/product.asp?sku=9065%2D42&dept%5Fid=6

The tone of your question implies you've just been "victimised" by a pilot!

I have refused seemingly legitimate shipments in the past (at my previous places of employment) for many reasons. The segregation rules may have been violated; the package may have been damaged; the package may be leaking; the package may be of a radioactive nature that won't travel on a particular airplane because of distance requirements; the shipper may have "misstated" information on the declaration; a host of other technical reasons.

Unfortunately, during contract negotiations gone sour, many people do many things that irritate many people. One must be very careful when picking one's battles...

Best Regards,

Buff