SJCguy
Topic Author

Look At This Pic At SEA, What/where?

Wed Jun 13, 2001 4:55 pm

This is at SEA in 1962. I'm trying to figure out which angle this shot is taken at. It looks like it's taken (nowadays terms) from the B concourse looking south towards the S concourse becasue I see a plane coming in, looks like he's landing north. Can anybody confirm?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © John P. Stewart

mikeymike

RE: Look At This Pic At SEA, What/where?

Wed Jun 13, 2001 9:23 pm

My gut says the angle is looking Southwesterly, perhaps from the current Alaska Gates or the Cargo gates somewhere further west onto the Tarmac....

Just my opinion  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

SEA nw DC10

Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:53 am

I agree, looks to be towards the south end of the airport. Not sure where the pic was taken from though, looks maybe in the middle of the airport by QX or somthing...

SEAnwDC10

SJC-Alien

Thu Jun 14, 2001 9:27 am

Well, as a Seattle native and having spent a few years at SEA-TAC(1960-1964) dropping off and picking up my Dad from business trips with the family, even I'm stumped on the direction...though it would almost have to be a very early AM shot to get that kinda sun angle on the jets. That location would put it down by the NWA gates,,,but Seattle was alot different back then. This photo may possibly be taken from the various observation decks thay had at Seattle, back before we moved to California in 1964.

My dad usually flew United, PNA and NWA and I remember the gates being on the far north area before the United 'island' was built. No Pan Am up at that end at all...I have a color slide from the 1964 era my brother took of 3- Northwest Orient 707's on the ramp looking south,,it kinda looks like the general direction...this photo was taken...

So my vote is the photo has to be taken towards the south area and the gates had to be the ones that curve east, kinda looking towards where the NWA building is...

Anybody else..?

SJC Alien

kwbl

Thu Jun 14, 2001 2:08 pm

Definately to the south. Looks like it could be from the central lobby area behind the ticket areas

yqfca

Thu Jun 14, 2001 2:17 pm

I agree, early morning, looking south, southwest.