mightyfalcon

G4 Taxiing With ONE Thrust Reverser Deployed..?

Wed Jun 13, 2001 8:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I've seen numbers of times the 2 Gulstream G4s based where I work taxxing with one thrust reverser deployed; I have noticed as well that it was always the starboard one, although this might just be a coincidence. I don't remember having noticed this on any other bizzjet.

Is it a procedure specific to the Gulfstreams or have you seen it on other types? Would you have any explanation for this?

Thanks to all of you answering. I look forward to finding out.
The sky has no limit...

Navion

Excess Residual Thrust

Wed Jun 13, 2001 9:39 pm

The G4 is not the only jet which often needs to taxi with one thrust reverser deployed to offset the high residual idle thrust of the engines. I have seen the Embraer ERJ's do this also. While taxiing a G4, the idle thrust of the 2 engines will cause it to accelerate too fast so one thrust reverser is deployed. You will usually find the reverser is deployed on and off as speed is needed to be retarded. I have not seen a reverser deployed for the complete taxi. Hope this helps.

cfalk

RE: G4 Taxiing With ONE Thrust Reverser Deployed..?

Wed Jun 13, 2001 9:41 pm

In Geneva, I see that a LOT, especially with Fokker 70s and 100s, business jets, and sometimes with larger planes like A310s. But I don't see it every time, but of course, I don't see the plane during its entire taxi run.

I suppose testing the thrust reversers is part of the pre-takoff checklist.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

caetravlr

Wed Jun 13, 2001 10:07 pm

I know this wasn't originally my post, but thanks for the intelligent post Navion! It is quite refreshing to see!
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

mightyfalcon

Wed Jun 13, 2001 11:49 pm

Many thanks, Navion!  Big thumbs up
This could be the explanation and, as you were guessing, the thrust reverser is not deployed permanently during the whole taxi; on the other hand, it isn't for sure just a check as it's often used for longer than a few seconds.
The sky has no limit...