orlo3

Best Flights To Asia

Thu Jun 14, 2001 7:06 am

I just got a new job which requires trips to Asia from the west coast four times a year. The company has partnerships with Delta and United. Which airline is best to asia (Hong Kong, Indonesia) and what services can I expect from each in Business Class. Thank you in advance for any information.

ryu2

RE: Best Flights To Asia

Thu Jun 14, 2001 7:35 am

Well, Delta doesn't fly to Hong Kong or Indonesia (except on codeshare with Korean Air), so that might be something to think about.

On United you have multiple nonstops to Hong Kong. While they don't serve Indonesia themselves either, you can codeshare on multiple Star Alliance partners, rather than just Korean Air, which has a spotty (albeit improving) safety record.

Air Taiwan

Thu Jun 14, 2001 9:30 am

if you want good service, try Singapore Airlines or Cathay. They're both way~~~ better than either United or Delta in terms of Biz Class product.

Jimmy

PS Malaysia airlines (LAX-TPE) and Thai (LAX-OSA/NRT) also have good biz product... also don't forget the Japanese airlines JAL and ANA...

TonyBurr

Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:13 am

When you begin to travel distances such as to Asia you cannot look at just one airline, but the alliances of which they are part of. Delta is limited in Asia and alliances. United is part of Star Alliance. The Asian partner is Singapore, whcih can not be beat in service. You can take Singapore to Hong Kong (I think non stop) and also to Indonesia. Even using Singapore you can gain miles in the United FF program. United is not my favorite, but I do use the Star Alliance whenever I can. And Singapore is a great airline.

So, not just the one airline, but the alliance. You will enjoy Hong Kong. I have never beem to Indonesia.

anawat

Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:35 am

Both SQ and CX have daily non-stop service from SFO to HKG.