flashmeister

Onboard Internet Access: Two Approaches

Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:19 pm

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN AIRBUS v. BOEING THING. PLEASE DON'T START THAT CRAP.

The latest war between the manufacturers is on, specifically being Internet infrastructures on airliners. Boeing, and now Airbus, both have plans in place.

With Airbus' recent acquisition, they are in the position to offer narrow-band internet access to email and selected webpages (via a proxy server onboard). It's available today.

Boeing's product will apparently offer 56k+ speeds on a broadband basis. I'm not aware if Boeing will open it up to the whole web or selected sites via a proxy server. That product won't be available for some time (a year or so, I believe).

Which is the better path? Would you want email now or wait for the whole enchilada later?

deltairlines

RE: Onboard Internet Access: Two Approaches

Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:36 pm

If Boeing is going to open up the Web in most of its whole, I'd go with Boeing. If Boeing does open it all up and is offering better speeds, I'd go with Boeing. However, it is nice to see that both companies want to open up the web and help consumers.

Jeff

LZ-TLT

Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:52 pm

any more details on transfer protocols and communication aids to be used(ie satelite uplink, conventional radio or what?)

I remember Ericsson coming some years ago with an experimental technology allowing using all the data channels of a conventional GSM mobile phone and thus allowing 33600bps transfer rate. Well, now as the common GSM standart is to be replaced by the UMTS standart, it sounds logical that Airbus is going with the actual technology as Boeing is awaiting the establishment of UMTS.

OK, I'm aware GSM's DON'T work above 10000 ft, but I can imagine pretty well the common up(down)link technologies being used to establish the link between aircraft and ground/space transmitter station.

Any additional technical details?

FlyBoeing

Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:54 pm

From what I've read about the Boeing idea, it's a lot like DirectPC satellite Internet access (the two way kind) accessible through an onboard LAN. What Boeing did was develop an electronically scanned conforming satellite antenna that helps the DirectPC connection work as the platform is moving at 500 kts.

Click here to access the Boeing site

The Tenzing Communications idea simply periodically downloads pages from selected sites and uploads them with a low bandwith reciever to to give you the illusion that you're accesing the internet.

I like the Boeing idea, because I could use my own computer and it's capable of very high speeds, as well as giving me the whole Internet.

The Tenzing system is for use in seat back TVs; even if it was accesible through some sort of LAN, I would have to deal with crummy slow access speeds. Not my cup of tea.

caetravlr

Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:56 pm

I would say that the Airbus partnership has the upper hand in this. They can offer it now, and their rates that they are talking about offering are many times more reasonable than what Boeing was talking about. I am sure that Boeing will have to come off of the usage fees to be competitive. For international flying, passengers really could make their decisions on which carriers to fly based on the availability of internet connection, the quality of the connection, and the price of the usage. Just my thoughts. That is how I would think.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

N863DA

Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:57 pm

I hate to be the one to say it, but do we really NEED to be in contact with email ALL the time?

Can't we just flight-time as rest time?

As to the main idea, the idea of real-time Boeing Connexion access to the internet sounds like a good idea to me.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

watewate

Fri Jun 15, 2001 3:37 pm

I'd give Boeing the upper hand on this won- for now. If I want to view archived pages, I could download it on my handspring and view it on my own without costing me an arm and a leg.
I have yet to run into one person who had chosen their flight due to the internet availability on board. I have a feeling that it's going to be another GTE Airfone until airlines can offer the services cheaply AND in real time.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:29 pm

I think that this is just a gimmick. However, the more you have, (normally), the better you are so it's just something extra.

I don't think we should rule out TENZING which is the first on-board internet and e-mail access provider with Singapore Airlines. (Not CX actually).
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Singapore 777

Sat Jun 16, 2001 1:27 am

Does SIA's Internet Access cover surfing of ALL websites on the Internet? Because if it does not, then I think Boeing has the upper hand on this one with their Connexion system.

767-322ETOPS

Sat Jun 16, 2001 1:56 am

I second Watewate's GTE theory. A Financial Times article mentioned that Boeing and the airlines are thinking of pricing it at $15-$25/hour. A lot cheaper than $4/minute with GTE, but for me is too much $$$ just to surf the net.

Might be useful to make last minute Hertz or hotel reservations, but I wouldn't use it otherwise.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jun 16, 2001 3:50 am

I dunno. Tenzing has this thing called Best of the Web. I think it's a selection of sites on Yahoo and downloaded onto a server or something. Any help anyone?
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos