Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Saab 340's "Glowing" Airstairs?

Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:11 am

Hi there. My question is...Do all American Eagle Saab 340 aircraft have airstairs that use "NEON" lights to make the steps and handrails "GLOW" when passengers are boarding or deplaning at night?

In Sept of 96, I flew on a Saab 340 from Tampa Bay to Miami, Florida. I was amazed as I walked across the ramp (in Tampa) toward the aircraft in the dark at 6:15 am, because of how bright the airstair was glowing REDISH PINK. It was obviously for the purpose of providing better visibility / safety.

I had never seen this feature on a passenger aircraft before and thought it looked really COOL  Big thumbs up

Is this "Glowing Airstair" a unique feature, or is it standard on all Saab 340's? Also, has anyone else in here ever flown on a 340 with this feature?

P.S. I have a photo that the F/A took of my girlfriend and I standing at the bottom of the airstairs, however the stairs are glowing so much that you can't see the aircraft!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Rob Simmons

In the first photo below, you can clearly see the RED on the steps. I bet they Glow at night.

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Mcdowell

Click for large version

Photo © Christopher

Thanks
Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

Mac

RE: Saab 340's "Glowing" Airstairs?

Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:57 am

mmmmm. Neon lights on......and inside aircraft. What a fantastic way to add flash and glamor to otherwise boaring hours inside the cabin of an airliner. Music could be piped in...dancing in the cabin....scotch on the rocks....cherry cokes...funny cigarettes.

Wow! Reminds me of the days of DISCO FEVER!!

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

RE: Mac

Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:59 am

Hi Mac, how are ya? Well, I can honestly tell you that I've NEVER been bored on any flight. Whether I'm up alone in a small cessna or piper, or on a large airliner or smaller reginal aircraft....I LOVE FLYING!!!  Big thumbs up

On this particular flight from Tampa to Miami, the only thing "GROOVY" about the Saab 340 was the "glowing" airstair. There was no DISCO music (thank God), no joints of grass being passed around, no scotch on the rocks...in fact, it was to early to get a cold beer! And, the only dancing going on was being done by the "340" itself, as we bounced along through early morning heap clouds.

However, there was one "unusual" thing inside that 340 (but not as LIVELY as your disco flight). On the very rear left seat across the aisle from me, sat a tall white styrofoam cooler, nicely straped in with the seat belt, and in it....was 8 sets of Human Eyeballs! That cooler made this flight Extra Special!

P.S. So, I take it you've never seen a Saab 340 with "Glowing" stairs.

Take Care,
Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

Mac

Fri Jun 22, 2001 8:25 am

I've never seen a SAAB 340 with a can of eyeballs!

cv640

Fri Jun 22, 2001 8:29 am

I fly for Northwest Airlink and we have a light that shines on the stairs for boarding and deplanning. OPrry though, no neaon lights
I did carry a set of human eye balls on my last fligh tot Chatanooga though, kept them upfront

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos