yow

Where Will WestJet Expand To Next?

Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:57 am

It has been a while (March) since WestJet has announced any new cities and/or routes.
Anyone want to make some predicitons as to what cities WestJet will expand to next? Make a list of your top 3 picks for both eastern (Ontario east) Canada and western (Manitoba west) Canada.

Here are my picks:

East: 1. Montreal
2. Windsor
3. Halifax

West: 1. Brandon (on a permanent basis)
2. Lethbridge
3. Kamloops

Any thoughts? This is just for fun. I suspect that WestJet will announce new routes and cities towards the end of the summer.

AN727

RE: Where Will WestJet Expand To Next?

Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:22 pm

I would like to see Westjet in
Whitehouse and Yellowknife in the north.
Montreal and Quebec City in Quebec.
Halifax and Charlottetown in the east

mel

Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:28 pm

West:

Kamloops
Yellowknife
Brandon

East:

Montreal
St. John's
Halifax
NO URLS in signature

slawko

Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:38 pm

IF they coould get a company to sell charters for them to the North then that would be a great place for them to go into.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

yow

Sat Jun 23, 2001 12:58 am

The possibilities are truely endless for them at this point.

BO__einG

Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:15 am

Right now They're gona set up routes for upcoming 2 700s.. YEG-YHM and some city to another with the 3rd 700.. MAybe in September or august, they may spread out?
Like all these possible routes u guys mentioned..

BO
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

yow

Sun Jun 24, 2001 9:44 am

Anyone Else?

Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:00 am

Kamloops!! I cannot stand those damn Dash-8's and 1900's anymore!!

On a calmer note, I really do think Kamloops is next most logical city in BC for at least a couple reasons:

1. It is the only major city not served by westjet in BC
2. There is a market for air travel; if Air Canada finds it profitable to have 6 flights to and from YVR a day, + 3 to YYC and and one each to YLW and Prince George, the demand is high enough.

yow

Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:07 am

YKA seems logical for WJ, especially as their next destination in BC. The only other BC airports that are realistic are Nanaimo, Prince Rupert, Terrace and Dawson Creek, but YKA would have to be the front runner.

YKA...in the last WestJet post about their new -700s didn't you say that there is a reason why WJ cannot yet serve YKA. I think that you said that it had something to do with the runway.

AC183

Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:56 am

I'd pick Prince Rupert, Kamloops, and Brandon in the west, in that order, as most likely (sorry to differ on the Kamloops issue, but IMHO the fact that it is only an hour from YLW may allow WJ to put it off a little while, although I don't think it will be terribly long, but that's just IMO).

In the east I think Montreal-St.Hubert and Windsor are fairly firmly my top two picks, but I'm not sure about #3, I could see Halifax, Sault Ste. Marie, or several other possibilities as being feasible.

Yow

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:12 pm

They are putting in a glideslope to finish of the ILS on rwy 26 this summer, which apperently is a requiremnt that Westjet has. This is somewhat confusing since they have been flying to YLW since their inception which also has had up to now only a LOC/DME approach + a tougher approach than YKA's.

As for the instalation time, the Nav Canada crew is instaling one in YLW at the moment and since its the only team qualified to do this kind of work, YKA will have to wait until they finish up there. Of course, as expected they are taking their sweet time....i mean how long does it take to stick the antenna into the ground and calibrate the system? I did see their Canadair calibration plane doing ILS(LOC/DME still) approaches a couple days ago so im guessing they are getting ready to finaly instal it.

yow

Cyka

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:21 pm

Thanks for that info about Kamloops. By the way, in the past (i.e. before the 1990s) did Canadian, CP Air, Time Air or PWA ever fly 737s or F28s into YKA? I can understand WJ wanting an ILS approach before commencing service there.

yow

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:23 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I could definitely see WJ flying a YOW-YHM-YQG-YWG-YYC route or something similar to this. Windsor (and London) is so underserved. CanJet made the mistake of trying to go head to head with Air Ontario when they were briefly at YQG.

Yow

Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:35 pm

CP had a YLW-YKA-RNO service going during the fall/winter season of '94 using 737's. I also heard that CP had regualr 737 service to YKA in the 70's and 80's, until AirBc came in with thier damn turboprops and began charging ridiculeously low fares.

CO777-200ER

Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:40 pm

Y wont WestJet put new routes to the US

a380

Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Toronto (hopefully)

Tennisace

Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:33 pm

I've said in previous posts that I bet Sudbury is up there on the list of next WJA destinations, although I do agree with all the other suggestions. Also just for the record the drive between downtown Kamloops and the Kelowna airport is about 2 hours......trust me I've done it many times......so the distance factor/catchment population thing wouldn't be a major discouragement from WJA starting Kamloops service. Also I've heard the rumour that a Abbotsford-Prince George non-stop service may be in the works. Cheers!

CRJ 900

Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:39 am

if they are smart they'd service YPR/YXT next in the west. YKA they could do i guess if they get the approach aid facilities they need. I just wonder if the market would be there. I just don't understand why everybody seems to think you need a jet on a 40 min sector(yvr-yka) . After the AC REg contracts are done, you'll see an announcement for new aircraft and my guess is you may see q400's goin in there. With a jet flt times will be shorter and don't count on alot of svc, maybe a juice cup....if it's yyc-yka that may be a different story...As for the east Brandon does seem likely. Transborder, doubt it, for the same reasons Southwest doesn't wanna come up here. They are gettin big though, i think they are an awesome company and look like alot of fun. Oh ya, PWA used to fly in there(yka) years ago with a 737 and they also flew into Castlegar(yikes!), but that woulda been alot of fun to experience that!

Noise

Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:24 am

We need WestJet here in Montreal soon! AC is killing us!

fly_yhm

Mon Jun 25, 2001 2:06 am

I really hope its YHM-Montreal which airport is anyone's guess Im not so sure if I would go into Windsor quite yet with what happened with Canjet. I think its just a matter of once they have every possible route taken up in Canada before they go south. Also going south would lengthen their 20 minute turn around times. other cities in the east that they might head to might be Halifax St. John's. Well which ever they decide on its going to be announced during the 4th quarter of this year.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:17 am

The YLW-YVR route has a travel time which is the same as that of YKA-YVR, somehow this didn't stop westjet from starting service there......

One thing I do not understand is why everyone seems to think westjet is gonna fly to "ghost towns" like Terrace or Prince Rupert. Those places could easily be served with a B 1900. Is it really worth burining Jet A for 700 nm to reach the 20 passangers willing to fly to YVR? or Prince George?

wjv04

Mon Jun 25, 2001 5:53 am

i was talking to a westjet pilot and they said that montreal and toronto are unavialible due to crappy gate times, they also said there going to keep it as it is for about 1 year, then start with us desinations such as las vegas and lax
cya

Noise

RE: Some News On Montreal

Mon Jun 25, 2001 6:12 am

I heard from the WestJet VP that they will probably fly to Montreal/St. Hubert airport.

fallingeese

RE: Some News On Montreal

Mon Jun 25, 2001 7:07 am

Very interesting, I'm surprised there are no good gate times available in Toronto since the departure of Canadian  Sad. I have a tour of the Westjet hangar later this week, any questions you want me to ask?
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

Samurai 777

Mon Jun 25, 2001 8:20 am

CYKA, Prince Rupert and Terrace aren't exactly ghost towns. Prince Rupert has about 17,000 people, while Terrace has a population of about 20,000. Kitimat (I'm not even sure if it even has an airport, but it's not that far from Terrace anyway) has about 12,000. This amounts to at least 49,000 people in the North Coast region - only a bit bigger than Fort McMurray. Prince George has about 77,000 people, so there's more than enough demand for WJ flights.

Because of a lack of a viable highway to Vancouver due to the Coast Mountains and the rugged terrain of BC's coast (although there is a marine highway system, traveling times by ferry must be pretty slow compared to going on a regular highway), demand for flights in the Prince Rupert/Terrace/Kitimat area has been historically high, I think. After all, CP used to fly 737s into these airports and AirBC until recently was using BAe 146's on the YPR/YXT-YVR route.

IMHO, WestJet may start flying into Kamloops or Prince Rupert next in Western Canada. In the east, Montreal at St. Hubert is likely to be next, although I'm not sure how soon.

northstardc4m

Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:52 am

i hope Tennisace is right, Sudbury, or better still, North Bay (longer runway).
Maybe Windsor... but CanJet did so poorly there, it might not be a good one...

lets see, overpriced, underserved markets abound:

Yellowknife, St John's, GooseBay, Timmins, etc.....

any of those would be a good bet...

But ill hold you for a YYC-YYB service hehe....

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

yow

Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:57 am

The airport for Terrrace and Kitimat serves both of those towns. I don't think that Terrace and Prince Rupert are too small for WJ. Heck Grande Prairie's population is what about 35,000? If they can succed there, they could probably succed in those BC towns as well.

CRJ 900

Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:59 am

CYKA, just to let u know, when we (cral) fly into YXT, our loads on the f28 are full and always have been. YPR doesn't do quite as well but still acceptable. Neither one of these places are ghost towns, obviously it goes to show you where on the priority list yka sits because it doesn't get jet service and these places(ylw as well) do.

Samurai 777

Tue Jun 26, 2001 2:09 am

Yow, I agree. I'm a little surprised that WJ didn't pick up on the YPR/YXT market sooner. But I think it's more to do with the fact that there's not enough 737s for WJ to spare, or just as likely, maybe the airports there need to be properly upgraded with a new ILS system like YKA's is doing right now.

PS: Grande Prairie's population is closer to 40,000 now, given its high growth rate.

Tue Jun 26, 2001 5:14 am

The only reason that YXT gets jet serivice is because it's so isolated. Travel times would be too long on Dash-8's to make customars happy(esspecialy considering the outragous fars that AC is charging). I bet anything that once WJ starsts serive to YKA, AC will follow them in with their F28's.

yow

Tue Jun 26, 2001 11:16 am

Samurai 777...you're right that the reason why WJ probably has not started serving YPR or YXT is due to a lack of aircraft.

CYKA...I agree that AC would probably bring F28s into YKA when/if WJ were to begin service there. Look at YLW. Before WJ, CRA use to only use a couple of F28s a day to YLW. Now about 2/3 of AC's flights into YLW are jets. You're also right in saying that YPR and YXT receive F28s because of the distance. Those towns have jet service but with far fewer flights than YKA.

fallingeese

Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:43 pm

There were some weird flights into YYC this afternoon. An all white 747-200 or maybe SP ,didn't get that good of a look......and i forgot the registration. The usual MartinAir 767-300 came in but i was amazed by it's 1 hour 15 minute turn around. A Nav Canada Challenger was doing fly-past for about 30 minutes with out it's landing gear, it nearly clipped a dash 8.

But the point of this was i was sitting there for 5 hours playing golf and there were alot of Westjet, no 737-700, but atleast 30 flights. Can anyone tell me which routes the planes fly? If I recalll it's Edmonton-->Winnipeg-->Hamilton?

CRJ 900

Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:54 pm

Don't hold your breath for AC jets into YKA soon, regardless of any potential Westjet presence.

CRrj-900

Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:00 pm

Im not really looking forword to seeing any(maybe the 146), it's mainly the WJ 737's that im most interested in seeing. Do you think that ACR fly the Q400 to YKA if they ever decided to buy it?

Samurai 777

Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:03 pm

Crj900, that'll make sense because AC never did follow with jet service to Grande Prairie or increase jet service to Fort McMurray. (There is however one F28 flight a day to YEG from Fort Mac, but that was started before WJ started flying into that airport.)

fly_yhm

Fri Jun 29, 2001 12:39 am

Fallingeese
The New -700 flies YYC-YHM non stop and the second one will be flying YEG-YHM non stop starting this monday it will also be flying YYC-YOW non stop im sure there are a few more routes too just go read the press relese one the Westjet Website.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

ywg777

Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:45 am

I think WJ will expand to Halifax in the east and Whitehorse in the west. I can also see Brandon and Montreal. I do hope Westjet does expand to the US. I think MDW,MSP would be really good markets to start as well as SEA.
YWG777

spyderz

Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:24 am

Someone mentioned Abbotsford-Prince George. Yes it's happening, but is only seasonal.

fallingeese

Fri Jun 29, 2001 8:43 am

I was on the 737-700 yesterday Smile. It's great, it was parked outside the hangar and my friend and I were let into it. There is alot of leg room, and it looks great.