nickofatlanta

DL Applying For CO's EZE Rights

Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:50 am

DL has applied to start JFK - EZE flights on a daily basis starting Dec 1, 2001 using the frequencies that CO was awarded, but plans to defer on.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010622/atf011.html

nickofatlanta

RE: DL Applying For CO's EZE Rights

Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:54 am

Interesting application if you look at it on the DoT site. They state (rightfully so in my opinion) that CO has a long history of deferring on South American route applications. They won (over DL) rights to SCL a couple of years ago. DL was later awarded rights. CO pulled out of SCL. CO attempted to downsize IAH - GRU. Now, EZE ... (whilst CO has far more of an argument deferring this time than it did in the other cases, the precedent they have set in the past is not exactly great).

deltairlines

Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:28 am

I hope that Delta gets these slots, as it will help Phase 2 of Latin America Expansion.

Jeff

CoAir@IAH

Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:40 am

well, delta never has had any problem with losing money, so why should they start now!

That route will not be profitable anytime soon, however, it's good to see delta has the kahonies to bite the bullet for a potentially profitable route in five years or so.

"Don't cry for me, Argnetina!"
--Sing it girl!

jrlander

Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:56 am

CoAir@IAH:

Would you please give some evidence as to why the JFK-EZE route will not be profitable any time soon? The Argentinian economy appears to be somewhat stabilizing. IN addition, Aerolinas Argentinas has abandoned the route. It seems as though it would make sense for Delta to enter the market. They have a growing operation at JFK, that will support numerous transfer passengers in addition to the O&D market.

Also, Delta has made record profits in past years. This last year's difficulties are related to labor problems and a slowing economy. Just wait until Continental has to get involved with the pilot negotiations. I do not think that they will fair much better.

Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:31 am

Interesting, Delta has just recently started their own ATL-EZE flights.

dutchjet

Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:02 am

CO is probably doing the right thing - the economy of Argentina is in terrible shape at the moment and it is not the right time to open up this route. For the moment, Aerolineas Argentinas is bankrupt and not operating most of its international services. I wish DL luck the route, if they get it, but it will be years before they will make money on it.

It will be interesting to watch AA and UA concerning their operations into Buenos Aires - do you think that they will reduce service due to economic conditions in Argentina?

cba

Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:13 am

DL will not get the route. CO is only defering because of the bad economy, and from what I have heard, they will start the route this upcoming winter. Sorry to burst your bubble DL, but ATL is not a Latin American gateway.

BTW, IAH-GRU was not scaled down. It went from 4 DC-10 flights a week to daily 762 flights. They just increased frequency with a smaller aircraft.

CoAir@IAH

Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:25 am

What does pilot negotiations have to do with anything?
CO's pilots will get what they want, anyway.

nickofatlanta

Cba

Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:39 am

They did want to scale it down, but it seems that the DoT would have none of it. They wanted to fly 3 nonstops each week from IAH-GRU using a 767 and 3 flights via LIM to GRU using a 757.

See:
http://152.119.239.10/docimages/pdf42/70196_web.pdf

DeltaSFO

Cba

Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:13 am

Sorry to burst your bubble DL, but ATL is not a Latin American gateway.

Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but yes, Atlanta is Delta's Latin America gateway. And despite what all the MIA fanatics tell you, it is quite profitable. Sorry to disappoint you. We at Delta Air Lines will try to do a better job of losing money in Latin America in the future. We promise.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

B747-437B

Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:24 am

And despite what all the MIA fanatics tell you, it is quite profitable.

It is? Care to back this statement up with some facts?

Traffic to the Latin American region is growing at the rate of 5.8% annually, which lags both Transatlantic traffic (6.2%) and Transpacific (8.1%) traffic as a growth segment. Unless Delta is grabbing a disproportionate share of premium passengers (which they are not - go check your BizElite loads to EZE or SCL), they are actually nowhere near as profitable as AA is in Miami.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

jrlander

Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:16 am

I cannot find the exact information in the Delta annual report regarding Latin American operations. In the last two years, if I remember correctly, Delta's profit margins for Latin American operations were above 10%. That is a conservative estimate based upon my memory. I think they were more like 15%. Delta's Latin American operations, save some Mexican destinations, has been based out of Atlanta. Furthermore, Delta continues to expand its presence, leading one to believe that they are probably making money at it.

As far as BizElite loads to EZE.... Delta has not been flying that route for very long. They are a relatively new name in EZE. It is also winter there, and most South American desinations have fairly low load factors at the moment. They are, however, marketing with LAPA to get some transfer passengers through EZE from other points. I think that they will make some serious money on the route in the future.

B747-437B

Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:37 am

jrlander - I dont have all the numbers in front of me, but you are correct. Delta's 1999 numbers had Latin American revenues of $375 mil based on costs of $320 mil for approx. 15% margin which was outstanding. However, their 2001 projections (based on a mixture of the Q1 10-Q filings and extrapolation) show revenue of $608 mil on expenses nearing $580 mil, which is closer to a 5% margin. That puts them well below AA in Miami in terms of profitability on these routes. Most of this is due to poor passenger loads on the new SCL and EZE services, which will probably grow with time. Nonetheless, DL remains a secondary player in the region as of RIGHT NOW.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

DeltaSFO

Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:22 am

Can somebody please point out where exactly I claimed that Delta is more profitable than AA or the primary player in the Latin America region?

Thanks....
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

B747-437B

Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:37 am

DeltaSFO -

Whatever. I have many respected users.  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

jrlander

Sat Jun 23, 2001 9:31 am

Like DeltaSFO, I don't believe that I said that Delta was the primary carrier in the Latin American Region. All I said was that Delta's last two full years (1999 and 2000) were highly profitable for the airline.

TOMASKEMPNER

Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:54 pm

Atlanta has become an important transfer point for Latin american passengers, specially mexicans.
Miami is the largest in Latin American operations but Atlanta is new for latin-americans, before Delta´s expansion no one consider Atlanta as an option, everyone went to Miami, New York, Chicago.

As for Mexico, I could tell you that Atlanta gets more mexicans passengers every day, that is mainly because of the extensive route network DL covers from ATL. Also AM is DL partner and they´ll always try to transfer you via ATL, not MIA.

As for passengers they prefer going MEXICO- ATL- EUROPE in Delta, so that way they could accumulate more miles in the same carrier and sometimes never worry about they´re luggage. DL International Transfer Room is a good asset, so people without US visa could enter the US as transfer passengers and grab a snack in the room.

As for passenger going MEX-MIA-EUROPE there are many of them, but the problem is that AA European network out of MIA is not as large as DL´s. Although MIA is great if you are going to the Carribean, and cities like Caracas, Rio, Buenos Aires, etc.

DELTA OFFERS BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE

MAH4546

Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:12 pm

Dutchjet, MIA-EZE is an important route for AA, with two daily 777-200ERs flying it. It's not going anywhere. In fact, AA operated a third-daily special flight with the annoucement of AR's suspension of services, and, if they can get the rights, AA will have zero problem filling up a third daily MIA-EZE flight (UA also has daily 777-200). ATL will never, ever replace MIA as the number one gateway to North America (or JFK as #2). However, ATL provides MUCH, MUCH better domestic connections that MIA will never offer (more for reasons of geography than anything else). But the truth is, however, that:

1) Most Latin Americans final destination in the US is usually New York City or Miami and...
2)...those who don't end their trip there usually continue on to other major American cities, for which Miami provides more than adequate connections (SFO, LAX, SEA, STL, DTW, ORD, MSY, DFW, IAH, MCO, DCA, IAD, DEN etc.)

I am sure DL will find succes flying to SCL, EZE, LIM, etc. from ATL (in fact, they have, AFAIK), but if they ever try doing flights to places like CLO, BAQ, LPB, VVI, GYE, etc., they are going to have trouble filling up planes like AA does out of MIA. Connections to Europe are, for the most part, better from ATL, but, again, MIA has the major connections, not to mention LHR. AA has big plans for MIA when their new terminal opens and plans to make it thier true international hub (currently dailies to LHR, MAD, CDG, codeshares to ZRH, IST), and not just to Latin America. The biggest advantage AA has however, is that no matter how bad the situation gets in Latin America, AA will ALWAYS have MIA's (and JFK's) O&D traffic to keep thier flights, like their five daily Miami-Caracas flights, afloat. DL cannot say the same for ATL.
a.

Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:53 pm

Avion has told me yesterday that the Delta flight from ATL to EZE is doing extremely well.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Jun 23, 2001 10:02 pm

I hope Continental rethinks its strategy a bit here. They are in a better position to serve Argentina profitably from the New York area, given their hub at Newark and the dozens of connecting possibilities, not to mention the fact that Continental is the #2 US airline in Latin
America, behind American and well ahead of United.

The Atlanta-EZE flights probably do well simply because
of Delta's critical mass at ATL. However, Delta is not a
player in the #1 US-Latin America market (Miami) and
#2, (New York). Although there are dozens of flights a
day between Miami and Atlanta, who would really want
to fly up to fly South.

December is still six months away and the economic
situation might improve. Aerolineas Argentina's future
is bleak, so perhaps CO can pick up the extra demand.
Who knows....

ContinentalEWR

jrlander

Sat Jun 23, 2001 10:36 pm

Delta's goal is to become a major player in the JFK-Latin America market. The JFK-EZE flight is supposedly part of the 2nd part of their Latin American expansion, which focuses on connecting JFK with all major business centers in Latin America. Delta will never be a competitor in the MIA market, as it doesn't make sense. But they do have a growing market share serving that section of the world through ATL and soon JFK.

Deltasas

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:43 am

I think that Delta will get the EZE rights, due to the fact that 1. we were able to get some to GRU when CO did not use them all and 2. the DOT will have to make a decision soon, it usually takes about 3 months to gear up new service---CO will just have to wait until more slots become available

B747-437B

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:48 am

The question here is whether CO is willing to relinquish those rights in perpetuity, which I somehow feel is a different ballgame than the temporary postponement of service. CO simply cannot afford to lose any NY area Latin American traffic to Delta.

That said, remember that the rights are still with Continental. They have never expressed the intention to relinquish them, merely applied for permission to defer service. If (when?) the permission is denied, they can either choose to default on their service obligation (and thus relinquish the rights), or they can operate the flights anyway. Gordon and his boys are smart enough to realize that the latter choice is the better one, even if it means short-term losses.

cv640

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:57 am

In this world where you have to win the rights to serve another country it takes lots of political connections and money. I would have imagined that if CO had used these to get the routes then theyw ould have researched them and would have known what they are getting into. If they were awarded them they should have to fly them or loss them. They were negotiated by the US and they choose who got them. They choose based off of the fact that they were going to be used, not put on the side for possible future use.

nickofatlanta

Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:11 am

Whichever side you take (CO or DL), can you agree that it is far better that this route authority that took a long time to negotiate should be used come Dec 1 rather than sitting unused. I'll be happy if they're being used by either CO or DL. I would not be happy if the DoT granted CO's application to defer on them when there's another airline (DL in this case) that would start service as soon as they're allowed to. If this forces, CO to start Dec 1 of this year, good ...

airafriquedkr

Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:38 am

CO was also awarded rights to operate EWR/CLO/MDE by the DOT. CO planned to start service on Oct. 1, but they applied for a waiver with the DOT to defer service until June 2002.

deltairlines

Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:40 am

Now to throw in a curveball. I was reading DOT applications, and UA also wants these slots so they can do LAX-EZE. UA claims they should get them because the DOT said that they were UAs if CO couldn't use them.

Jeff

padcrasher

Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:13 am

Here's a little comparison of AA and DL as far as measured by RPMs to Latin America.

In 1999 AA was more than 6 times larger than DL.
Currently, with the new ATL-EZE flight AA is almost 4 times larger.

In the year 2000 AA's RPMs increased 4.1% while DL's increased 22.7%

This year to date AA is down in RPMs by .1%.
Delta is up 40.7% in RPMs to Latin America.

This gap is only going to get smaller as DL adds widebody service from NYC to GRU/GIG and EZE, and adds increased frequency to Central America and Mexico.

B747-437B

Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:23 am

Actually, as per their filing on Thursday, UA has also applied for a modification of their "backup" rights from LAX-EZE with 772 to a IAD-EZE service with 763. They also refuse to guarantee a December 1 start if they are forced to go with LAX as a gateway.

The other interesting part of that filing is that UA claims that its load factors to/from EZE have GROWN in the last 12 months. They now average 74% on the JFK route, 82% on the MIA route and 72% on the ORD route.

AA_717

Where Can You See DOT Applications?

Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:38 am

I was just at the DOT web site for about 10 minutes and searched everywhere, but could not find any airline applications for routes.

What do I do?

B747-437B

Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:51 am

Try the Docket Management System at :

http://dms.dot.gov/reports/

nickofatlanta

Sun Jun 24, 2001 4:04 am

Search under Continental Airlines in Docket Title. Then, press reverse order. The United (and Delta) application is part of their response to the Continental deferral application.

TOMASKEMPNER

Sun Jun 24, 2001 4:25 am

I think DL know what they are doing.
In the last year the carrier has been very wise. They pull out all they PDX-Asia services, because there was little profit, instead they transfer the route to JFK and its doing extremely well, its difficult to find seats on DL´s JFK-NRT.

JFK is a very important gateway for DL, they serve 22 destinations in Europe (soon 21, Lyon is out), Cairo, Mumbai, Dubai, Tel-Aviv, Tokyo, Mexico City and codeshare flights to Africa and almost every european city vía CDG.

Although the NYC-EZE route is served by AA and UA, DL can fill the gap AR left.

I´m sure they´ve make a lot of research on this route and they found there is a profit to be made, that why they are going for CO´s rights.

MAH4546

Delta/Amercian

Sun Jun 24, 2001 5:16 am

Padcrasher, how can you even compare? Yes, the gap is going to get smaller but DL will NEVER get ahead of AA, thanks to three letters - M-I-A. ATL, even with the connections, cannot support the frequencies and second-tier destinations that MIA (as well as JFK/EWR and to a much lesser extent IAH) supports.

AA's MIA-Latin America flights (weekly frequencies)...

Asuscion, 7x 763 (via GRU)
Baranquilla, 7x 722
Belize City, 7x 752
Belo Horizonte, 7x 763 (via GRU)
Bogota; 14x 752 and 7x A300
Buenos Aires; 14x 772
Cali; 7x 752
Cancun; 14x 722, 14x 738
Caracas; 14x 722 and 21x 752
Casa de Campo; 7x 738
Guatemala City; 21x 738
Guayquil; 7x 752
Havana; daily "scheduled" charters
La Paz; 7x 752
Lima; 14x A300
Managua; 7x 738, 6x 722
Maracaibo; 7x 738
Mexico City; 7x A300, 7x 752, 14x 738
Panama City; 14x 722, 7x 738
Puerto Plata; 14x 722
Qutio; 13x 752
Rio de Janiero; 14x 763 (+JJ codeshares soon)
San Jose; 14x A300, 7x 738
San Pedro Sula; 10x 722
San Salvador; 14x 722
Santa Cruz; 7x 752 (via LPB)
Santiago; 7x 763 (+ LA codeshares)
Santo Domingo; 21x 722, 14x A300
Sao Paulo; 7x 763, 7x 772 (+JJ codeshares)
Tegucigalpa; 7x 752

In 2002, AA hopes to add Medellin, Columbia has thier 31st Latin destinations. There is NO way DL can match that out of ATL, not even with the superior connections they can provide, because AA still relies a lot on O&D traffic. And they still provide all this service, succsesfully I might add, with compieition on every route except Tegucigalpa, Asuscion, and Puerto Plata.

a.

Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:07 am

MAH4546....I have a correction. As I know, AA has 14x in 763 from MIA to SCL, operated by them, and there are 14 x by Lan

MAH4546

Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:25 am

Hadpa, maybe your right, but I can only find one AA flight on OAG plus the LA's 2 daily codeshares. They don't codeshare, though, on LA's MIA-SCL flights that go via CCS, BOG, and PUJ (with fifth freedom rights).
a.

nickofatlanta

And AA Wants The Rights Too ...!

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:43 am

AA is proposing to use the rights for DFW - EZE daily nonstops using 777s.

nycank

Thu Jun 28, 2001 7:19 pm

Ancedotally speaking, there is a perception with many in Central America and
South America, that ATL is *not* a friendly US gateway. In the same vein as
PDX was with Japanese flights.

Last month, a very good friend of mine commented that she has always gotten hassled in ATL and prefers ORD (final destination Aspen CO). Another close friend of mine had his relatives questioned at length on a return trip from SCL.

I know this has nothing to do with DL - It is however the perception that sticks in people's mind.

lima

Fri Jun 29, 2001 12:22 am

When Delta started its EZE route it used an MD11. Then they changed for a 767-300.
Why? it is not more wise to do the other way around, particularly being a new destination for Delta. They overestimated the size of the market perhaps?

jrlander

Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:03 am

I'm not sure if this is actually the answer, but Delta's 767 fleet is far more reliable than their MD-11 fleet. Using 767's helps Delta guarantee more reliable service in and out of EZE.

B747-437B

Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:16 am

The reason for the switch to 767 was that the MD-11s are now required for the new JFK-CAI-DXB and JFK-TLV services.

Greg

Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:56 am

Why do we always assume that Delta knows what they are doing. According to the book 'Debunking the Myth'--the stellar management at DAL has missed numerous opportunities due to their conservative nature.

In regard to South America. AA is our 'preferred provider' for travel to South America--however we rarely can get biz class seats because of availability. If we really want to fly biz..then we go to Delta...they are always available. So American must be doing much better...

B747-437B

Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:58 am

Why do we always assume that Delta knows what they are doing.

*ROTFLMAO*

Sad, but so true.... so true....  Smile

jrlander

Fri Jun 29, 2001 4:45 am

Why do you assume that simply because you can get business class seats on Delta that AA is doing better? Have you considered the number of business class seats offered? Have you looked at the number of those seats being used by full-paying passengers? Have you considered the reality that AA has more of a history in Latin America, and thus more frequent fliers?

Greg

Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:25 am

It's not an assumption..it's an observation. Premium seats on AA are not available---DL is always available.
That should be some indication that AA is doing better.
Also...if you look behind the curtain..it can be pretty sparse back in economy of DL.
It's not scientific..but it's a barometer that they are doing better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos