ROP
Topic Author

Have You Ever Seen The "Robotic Smile" Of SIA Crew

Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:27 pm

Actually i've heard a lot of conplaints about the SIA's flight crew. and i did experience them last year on the short haul flight from BKK-SIN/SIN-DPS and found out it was really true that "you'll have robotic smile and service". It's so funny to see their being like that!!

kaitak

RE: Have You Ever Seen The "Robotic Smile" Of SIA Crew

Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:33 pm

I flew SQ from LHR through SIN to PER and back last month; yes they were smiling - always smiling. This I think is a good thing, particularly when you consider some airline crews with permenantly fixed frowns and scowls. I didn't find them robotic either; they were pleasant, eager to help and added to the enjoyment of the flight.

Smiling brings out the best in people; don't knock it.

Singapore 777

Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:33 pm

I have seen it countless times, even on a flight from Singapore to Perth. But they were serving the opposite aisle. The ones which served my aisle were very sincere and genuine.

airmale

Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:47 pm

Id rather have a robotic smile than a scowl or aloof look Smile
.....up there with the best!

star_member

Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:58 pm

i must say i thought the service was excellent on my flight from syd to sin a few months ago but they were a bit unnatural. the fact they had exactly the same make up added to the automaton feel. having said that robotic smiling is preferable to disinterest from f/a on other airlines. i find the tg f/a have the most pleasant and natural service.

jaysit

RE: Have You Ever Seen The "Robotic Smile" Of SIA

Sat Jun 23, 2001 9:46 pm

What do you expect them to do? Individually kiss your royal behinds? Smile at you and you alone and tell you just how special you are just because you happen to be sitting in Seat 64K? Please, theyr'e in a service industry catering to the needs of 400 passengers in a metal tube at 35000 ft. Its hard to keep smiling when you have drunken jerks, slobs expecting First Class service while having paid Coach fares (which SIA quite often delivers) and unappreciative passengers who criticize you for smiling. But, Bless their hearts, those Singapore girls just keep smiling and do their jobs. It may be robotic to you, but its professional courtesy and standards to most people. If you want heartfelt love and devotion bring your own chaperone or nannies on board. Or else fly any one of 100 other carriers where you will get sincerity of the "Get Lost" kind. Frankly, a smile at the end of a 22 hour flight really does go a long way, even if its been mandated by the corporate headquarters of SIA.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

spk

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:03 am

I've seen it. Looks like they're trained to just keep smiling.

SQ is a good airline but it is way overhyped. I like Thai F/A the most while I love SQ seat (biz class) and IFE.

Air Taiwan

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:07 am

Well said, Jaysit.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Jimmy

cedarjet

Sun Jun 24, 2001 12:38 am

I think they do an excellent job with a pleasant manner and should be praised for being so sweet, not criticised.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:42 am

Jaysit! In my eyes, you've redeemed yourself. Kudos.

I have not experienced a "Robotic" smile, but a gracious smile. I don't think they are robotic.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ROP
Topic Author

RE: Have You Ever Seen The "Robotic Smile" Of SIA

Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:52 pm

REgard to Jaysit's post. thank for the comment. but for my personel idea toward SIA f/a, it's only the comment from the custommer who is the consumer. maybe you forget the idea of right to comment since you are consumer especially for the hospitalized business. ...it's just a comment... comment for better thing, nothing serious at all..

Plane Holland

Sun Jun 24, 2001 7:37 pm

Sadly, they smile to keep their job......

We all know that SQ has a way of handling their personell... It's said to be the most sexist airline on this planet... I think the Singapore girls would be better of flying for KLM , they would have a job for life, not only based on their smiles..

regards, PH  Smile

trintocan

Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:28 am

I have never flown SIA but I have seen some of their girls on the ads, they are so beautiful! Robotic - why do you think so?

Let SIA continue to demonstrate why they are the world's top-rated airline.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

QantasAirways

Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:38 am

I have flown on them 6 times, and their smile has always been perfect.
I dont know what people mean by robotic
Better than Qantas flight attendants that dont even smile

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

trickijedi

Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:45 am

Maybe their smiles are robotically sincere!  Smile
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

tupolev154b2

Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:54 am

It is sad to see them being forced to smile even in the face of drunks.

Mr.BA

Mon Jun 25, 2001 5:02 pm

Jaysit, you're the best. Kudos!

alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

airnewzealand

Mon Jun 25, 2001 6:23 pm

Hey,
All airlines give a robotic smile....
AirNZ, United, Air Canada, Korean Air, Asiana, SQ, Garuda indonesia!! They all have them, so donot just pin point one airline!!

One FA out of around 3000 FA's will diffenately have a robotic smile!!

Hey QantasAirways!!
Qantas FA's smile!! Well at least the ones that come to AKL!! They are really nice people!

Cheers
mikey

krisworldB777

Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:00 pm

Well, well..... aren't people becoming picky! You do have a point ROP. cabin crew should make an effort to smile and look like they enjoy serving other people, it is what they are paid to do and the majority of the Asian cabin crew do a commendable job, even after uo to 15-hours on their feet.

The Singapore girls are brilliant at what they do. They are very elegant and immaculately presented however, as do all people, have bad days. I've seen their robotic smiles, it does make me laugh, but even if they are having a bad day, they are still making the effort and yeah, we should commend them for that although a lot of the chief stewardesses seem to permanently have them. I suppose the glamour does wear off but Singapore Airlines' cabin service is absolutely brilliant and unmatched by nearly every other airline.

Greg

Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:50 am

They are definetely the 'Stepford Flight Attendants'
Very robotic and none too bright if you try and talk to them...
Crap..this will probably get deleted too..

QantasAirways

Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:01 am

Mikey!
Glad they do! Maybe their uniform just need a bit of a fix up

regards
QantasAIrways
Spirit of Australia

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:50 pm

Greg: Have you ever flown Singapore Airlines. If so, from where, to where, when and what class.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

airnewzealand

Tue Jun 26, 2001 6:30 pm

Johann, hhahahahahah...........I agree totally. Looking forward to talking to you tonight on MSN, if i am online!!

Cheers
mikey

Greg

Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:37 pm

Flew them regularly from San Francisco to S'pore in '99 and '00 to work at our Singapore office which handles shipping claims.
Flew them earlier this year on the return portion when CX and UA were booked.
I don't find anything 'brilliant' about the service or the f/a's (however they are very polite).