Red Panda
Topic Author

The Same KLM 743 Delayed Twice In A Week At YYZ

Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:37 pm

There was an KLM 747-300 delayed at YYZ on last Saturday because it was hit by lightning, and causing three holes on its body. This Saturday, the same KLM 743 was delayed for at least 12hrs due to hydraulic leakage. Some pax were protected to other airlines while some have to stay in hotels.

Is there anyone know the regn nbr of this acft? I heard someone said that it was ???BUO??? sth. like that.

It is odd that the same acft delayed on the same day (Saturday) and at the same arpt. YYZ within a week.

r panda

RE: The Same KLM 743 Delayed Twice In A Week At YYZ

Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:42 pm

Perhaps conincidence?

Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:45 pm

I mean that it's not that important if it's the same plane having problem or not. It's just about the safety issues.

But it's really weird about this KLM 743's case.

Btw, it should be "Coincidence", I got a typo.

jwenting

Sun Jun 24, 2001 7:45 pm

KLM delayed only twice? Or did they have only two flights? Big grin

If it was BUO, it was not a 300, BUO is a 200 with stretched upper deck (206B SUD).
KLM operates only 3 (real) 300s, BUU, BUV and BUW.
I wish I were flying

dvmpaunch

The True Story

Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:48 pm

Actually I was working the flight when the leak occurred. Apparently a screw holding a panel covering hydraulic pipes in the aft section of the aircraft (between the aft cargo door and the bulk door) had punctured a hydraulic pipe sometime in the past, but was acting as a plug, eventually this "plug" worked its way outward causing a small leak, when we notified AC maintenance the panel was removed to determine the exact location of the leak. With the panel removed the "plug" was totally removed and skydrol (under pressure) poured from the aircraft. This aircraft was PH-BUW, last week the lightening strike aircraft was PH-BUU, and NO there were no holes created in the fuselage of the aircraft, this aircraft was delayed approx 5 hours and left later that night. Yestaurday's KLM flight 692 is expected to leave sometime today (June 24th). The worst thing of all was that passengers were kept on the aircraft for approx 5 hours last night while the "suits" figured out what they wanted to do with the aircraft. Eventually at about 10:30pm PH-BUW was towed to an AC hanger for repairs. There was talk that the passengers would stay on the aircraft while it was towed to the hanger for repairs. Passenger baggage was NOT removed, but crew bags were.

I'll keep you informed of any further events as they arise.

Regards
Darryl
Ogden Aviation

A330_DTW

Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:01 am

I swear it's something in that blue paint that attracts lightning!

When KLM used to fly into DTW, I worked those flights all the time. If you saw lightning, there was a good chance that Big Blue would get hit and take a delay!

I'd have to say that on average, those blue planes would get struck once every two weeks.

I'd bet money that the blue paint has some sort of magnetic or metallic properties that attract lightning!

jwenting

Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:20 am

electricity likes water and is kinda dumb. Lightning is electricity and knows water is blue, so it heads for the nearest blue thing it can find  Big thumbs up
I wish I were flying

JAT

Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:27 am

I'm going to be flying with KLM on Monday (tommorow). I hope there are no delays, I have a connecting flight in AMS.

Out of curiosity, what would have happened had the leak occured in mid-flight....

Red Panda
Topic Author

RE: Dvmpaunch

Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:58 am

Hey Dvmpaunch, you work for Ogden? Do you know Michael? The one wearing glasses and about 5 feet 5.

R Panda
 Wink/being sarcastic

dvmpaunch

RE: Dvmpaunch

Tue Jun 26, 2001 4:27 am

I know them all if you are referring to the CX YYZ crew, Michael, Barry, the engineers etc. Michael is a great guy, he's always on the ramp joking with us. Cathay is a great airline. We regret the 2 minute delay on 829 the other night but with KLM and its problems our man-power was a bit stretched.

Regards
Darryl

blink182

Tue Jun 26, 2001 5:23 am

JAT- I am afraid to say what the result might have been had this occured inflight over the atlantic. If this was over land, the result probably would not be so tragic as if it were over water.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Red Panda
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:12 pm

I know both Michael and Barry. Michael basically knows many ppl at T3.

brgds,
r panda