Delta727
Topic Author

Is UAL Moving From SFO To Lax?

Wed Jun 09, 1999 12:39 pm

Fellow forum members-

I read today that UAL had just completed a multi-million dollar terminal at LAX and that it was offically designated as a hub. Is UAL planning on shifting most of its west-coast hub ops to LAX, or do they remain faithful to SFO? Which hub is bigger now, SFO or LAX?

I live near SFO, and would hate to see UAL go!!!

delta727
Give me a mile of road I can take you a mile, give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world. :airplane:

FLY777UAL

RE: Is UAL Moving From SFO To Lax?

Wed Jun 09, 1999 2:41 pm

SFO is and always will be the larger of the two CA hubs. UA will remain faithful to SFO, adding additional flights, yet UA just wants to take their majority presence at LAX to a new level.

FLY777UAL

United777

Wed Jun 09, 1999 2:50 pm

United Airlines just wants to be the airline for California and the west coast.

Thu Jun 10, 1999 2:21 am

United took advantage of the opportunity that no other carrier had LAX as a major hub, and redid their terminals, and more flights. I read in "Our Times," United's employee newspaper, that United now has the largest airline presence in Los Angeles.

DeltaShuttle

Thu Jun 10, 1999 2:29 am

I recall earlier that somebody, I think United 946 said that UAL will eventually phase out LAX. However, their behavior seems contradictory to this. I hope they stay at LAX.

william

Thu Jun 10, 1999 2:08 pm

United is just strengthening their market position. Besides,there is not much room to grow at SFO,so why not make LAX a second gateway to Asia and the Hawaiian Islands,especially if you already have a big presence in LAX.

FLY777UAL

RE: Is UAL Moving--William

Thu Jun 10, 1999 2:44 pm

LAX was already a major Pacific hub for UA...and there is going to be no int'l expansion from there. UA flies to just about the same destinations from LAX as they do from SFO, including the exact same Hawaiian Islands routes, and an additional route to LIH (Lihue)[just added to SFO on weekends]. In addition, there is a TON of room at SFO for UA to grow there...UA is almost done with their brand new terminal, and they are looking to add more Pacific flights from SFO, mainly bolstering and re-adding the Pacific routes which had to be dropped due to the Asian crisis. UA is also going to add a few more destinations out of SFO, cheifly SHA (Shanghai, China).

FLY777UAL

RE: Is UAL Moving--FLY777UAL

Thu Jun 10, 1999 3:01 pm

I think the new terminal at SFO is an International terminal, not just UAL.

william

RE: Is UAL Moving--William

Thu Jun 10, 1999 10:20 pm

Its a known fact to any frequent flyer,or aviation enthusiast that SFO is nearing capacity constraints,its the reason why SFO are trying to build new runways to handle new expected growth. While it may be true that United could add more flights during the middle of the day,its the morning and evening aircraft movements that hamper operations,and again at those specific times,when travelers want to travel,SFO is near capacity.

FLY777UAL

RE: Is UAL Moving--747-400

Thu Jun 10, 1999 11:25 pm

United is opening up its own terminal...as you enter the airport it will be on the left hand side of the airport. The other new terminal is on the right hand side.

FLY777UAL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos