747-600X
Topic Author

Pilots Wanted: Must Not Mind Excessive Boredom...

Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:27 pm

Does anyone know what the pilots of glass-cockpit planes do during their 8 hours or so in the flight deck? I mean seriously, I would fall completely asleep or go stir crazy if I had to just sit there for 8 hours! What can they do? There's not that much in those front offices!

sushka

RE: Pilots Wanted: Must Not Mind Excessive Boredom...

Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:31 pm

They are very busy traveling along the route changing frequencies and monitoring the progress of the flight. There was a post about this not too long ago. Go ahead and look at it.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

VonRichtofen

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:41 pm

On Discovery channel Canada the other night, there was a program where they showed every little detail from start to finish in an Air Canada 767 flying from Toronto to Frankfurt. They covered EVERYTHING, they even had two cameras mounted in the cockpit, one for the Captain and one for the F/O. They aslo explained what everything meant in the conversations between the flightdeck and the ATC's. They covered the subject of boredom in the cockpit too. They pointed out that even though the pilots "appear" to be just sitting there, if you look closely you'll notice their eyes are constantly scanning the instruments. And they interviewed the pilots as well. I guess they do get tired of course, but not necessarily bored.

Kris  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ben88

Wed Jun 27, 2001 6:16 pm

Sushka with all due respect that is BS. Pilots on long haul flights are NOT very busy.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos