L1011
Topic Author

Does AA Own TWA Yet?

Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:01 am

I thought they did, but when I called AA reservations at the AAdvantage Gold number to see about switching one of my upcoming AA flights to a more convenient TWA flight, I was told they do not. I am flying with a first class upgrade paid for with mileage. I asked the agent if I could switch flights, since AA owns TWA. She said, "We don't own TWA, and I don't think I can switch you. Even if I can, you can't be upgraded." So she put me on hold, then came back and said she couldn't put me on TWA at all, even though there are plenty of open seats on the TWA flights. I thought their frequent flier programs were interchangable, but I guess they're not if I can't upgrade on TWA using AA mileage. According to news releases, AA is already putting More Room Throughout Coach into TWA planes and repainting them. Can they do that to planes that aren't theirs? Was that reservations agent correct? Or should I call back and try my luck with a different agent?

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Matt D

RE: Does AA Own TWA Yet?

Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:02 am

TWA is a wholly owned subsidiary of AMR Corp. As per usual, the Front Line personnel are the last to know what's going on, and I guess you now know that first hand.

sccutler

Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:12 am

"Trans World Airlines" no longer operates an airline.

"TWA Airlines, L.L.C." is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AMR, and that is the entity which owns and operates the TWA aircraft.

It will take quite a while to integrate TWA's ops into AA's, as you are experiencing.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

B747-437B

Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:49 am

TWA, LLC which is a wholly owned subsidiary of AMR Corporation, parent company of American Airlines acquired substantially all assets of Trans World Airlines, Inc. in a bankruptcy auction conducted by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the district of Delaware.

AA does not own TWA. TWA itself has ceased to exist.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Fri Jun 29, 2001 11:26 am

TWA exists as TWA LLC. A wholly owned (yet currently a separate) subsidiary. AA is merging TWA into AA proper gradually. No definate date is set for the final day when TWA "becomes" American. The frequent flier programs will be merged at a later date. As of yet, they don't even code-share (later this summer).

B747-437B

Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:39 pm

TWA exists as TWA LLC.

I beg to differ. TWA, Inc is unaffiliated with TWA, LLC. The assets of the former entity (which included the rights to the TWA name) were auctioned by the court and were purchased by a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines, which is in itself a wholly owned subsidiary of AMR Corporation.

The bankruptcy estate for TWA, Inc is still charged with settling outstanding debts from the proceeds raised by the sale of these assets to TWA, LLC.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada