cre

Differences Between MCI-MKE

Sun Jul 01, 2001 12:20 pm

I was surprised to hear recently that MCI handles about 11 million pax a year, while MKE handles about 6 million yearly. Without much examination, I always figured the two cities were fairly similar in population size, business and daily flights - all the reason I'm wondering why MCI nearly doubles us here in MKE.

How much does the presence of low-fare carriers such as Southwest and Vanguard with their high-frequency flights contribute to MCI, whereas MKE really has no low-fare carrier here? Does Kansas City have lots on conventions etc? Although MKE apparently attracts 600,000 pax from northern Illinois, does ORD and MDW detract much from MKE. I'm sure all these factors and more play a role to some extent.

Just wondering. Any thoughts appreciated.
Cre

RE: Differences Between MCI-MKE

Sun Jul 01, 2001 12:34 pm

Several reasons: MKE's proximity to O'Hare, Southwest's presence in MCI, Kansas City's historical importance in aviation. Just my opinion.

vngd4me

Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:02 am

MCI is the only commercial airport in a fairly large radius unlike MKE. Yes, Kansas City does hold many conventions, partially because of its geographically central location in the US... I do not know any exact #'s or in comparison MKE's convention draw.

cre

Mon Jul 02, 2001 11:32 am

thanks for your opinions.

Mon Jul 02, 2001 1:35 pm

Historically MCI was a big hub for transcontinental flights, while MKE was just a destination. With improved aircraft range and development at other hubs with larger populations, MCI has faded away somewhat. It is still very centrally located, though, and thus serves SWA well (e.g., the MCO-PDX route). In the last year, DAL pulled their trans-Pacific hub from PDX for similar reasons; improved range made Japan direct flights possible from DFW, ATL, JFK, etc., so why stop at PDX?

Another factor to consider was proximity to ORD, as mentioned. The Chicago political machine has been sucking money to ORD for so long that other airports like MKE, which could help alleviate delays/congestion at ORD, just sit there under-utilized. PFCs are helping to exacerbate this problem, but MKE will likely see real growth if common sense prevails to put a limit on ORD's growth.