Lindy
Topic Author

Spotting At CVG

Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:00 am

Hi All.

I was wondering if we have here any spotters from CVG.
I'm flying there from DCA this coming Saturday. I will have 8hrs of total spotting.
Any particular places I should go and visit? Outside spotting? Terminal spotting?

Please let me know where I should go after my arrival.

Thanks!
Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

RE: Spotting At CVG

Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:29 am

There are a couple spots you could go to. I myself usally go to the parking lots of one of the nearby malls. You can see mostly 727, 757s, and MD-80/90s there, you may get lucky and see a MD-11 or 767 too.There is a spotter's parking lot on Donaldson Rd I think. At the airport you could try the nearby post office parking lot to see a DHL 727 on blocks and maybe a few DHL aircraft if you going to be arriving at CVG in the evening. You could have seen a Air France 747-200 too if AF didn't halt service till September. Sorry I don't know any good places inside the airport except for the area where the McDonalds is in Concorse B

Mon Jul 02, 2001 11:12 am

I do not reccomend Concourse C. No windows except in the corridors for passenger boarding, and the ceilings.

Mon Jul 02, 2001 11:14 am

The corridors are for ticketed passengers only, so the only area here is the center, where you can find Shops and Resturants for Comair Passengers.

Lindy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2001 11:16 pm

Can I walk to all those parkings and spots?
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Mon Jul 02, 2001 11:27 pm

Nope, unless you'll be renting a car. Sorry! Hope you enjoy your day at CVG. BTW what airline are you flying?

Lindy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:17 am

I'm flying Delta!
CVG is the only city I can fly for free.
I'm flying on 757 out of DCA at 10am and leaving CVG the same day on 727 at 7pm.
So what I can do for over 7hrs at CVG???

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

HlywdCatft

Tue Jul 03, 2001 9:37 pm

CVG has an actual designated spotting area on the east end of the airport practically in line with their east/west runway which is rarely used for landing only on crosswinds although it is often used for takeoffs.

although their main south/north runway is right in front of you and you can get great pictures.

They have a couple port a potties there and a speaker system broadcasting the control tower and aircraft.

It is sort of set on a hill so you are actually looking down at the terminal and runways, for the most part you can see all operations from there, the far south/north runway is a little hard to see but I got a great video of a Gemini DC-10 landing there too.

You definitely can see movement better there than you can at Dallas's spotters park