Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2001 7:33 am

Spanair To Join Star Alliance?

Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:08 pm

I noticed the Star Alliance star symbol on this Spanair A321. Are they planning to join Star? Take a look at the pic. The star is to the left of the 'S' and to the right of the door.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

AA - Doing what we do best.

RE: Spanair To Join Star Alliance?

Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:13 pm

er...That's not a Star Alliance logo. That's the logo of IATA.

But Spanair's code-share partner are the airlines that belongs to Star. Spanair code-shares with SAS, Lufthansa, VARIG, United Airlines.
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2000 4:22 am

RE: Spanair To Join Star Alliance?

Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:25 pm

Spanair is partly owned by SAS and LH, I think that both together own 40% of the airline. And you can earn LH FF Miles flying with Spanair.

RE: Spanair To Join Star Alliance?

Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:25 pm

I agree with Jiml1126. The logo on Spanair is an IATA logo. A Star Alliance logo appears near the cockpit window and is of a larger size in proposition that the IATA logo.
Posts: 2144
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2001 8:47 pm

RE: Spanair To Join Star Alliance?

Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:19 am

afaik, LH hasn´t got a stake in Spanair, ... yet. i remember once reading about discussions between SAS and LH to jointly own the 49% stake SAS currently has in JK.
additionally, Spanair once stated that it would very much like to be a junior partner within star...

If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.
Posts: 1843
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2000 6:44 am

RE: Spanair To Join Star Alliance?

Wed Jul 04, 2001 4:35 am

I think that JK sooner or later will join Star since their major owner is SAS. But it might take a few years, and i personally think that Star already is overcrowded in Europe with SAS, Lufthansa, bmi, Austrian, Tyrolean and Lauda.

Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!
Posts: 2681
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2000 5:26 am

RE: Spanair To Join Star Alliance?

Wed Jul 04, 2001 4:47 am

I think the same GOT. But europe is kinda the home of Star since Lufthansa is more or less the real founder of Star (of the 5 airlines Lufthansa was leading the whole thing). Maybe the alliances have noticed that it is better to have a good position in europe then elsewhere cuz here they can still make big bucks since flying ain't cheap here. And in europe there is still a small hole in the southwest which could be covered by Spanair...
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 9:55 am

RE: Spanair To Join Star Alliance?

Thu Jul 05, 2001 3:56 am

SAS owns the 49% of the Stake of Spanair. The other 51% is owned by GRUPO MARSANS,a Spanish very important tourictic group.
SPANAIR code/shares its international and domestic flights with SAS,Luthansa and even VARIG.
For instance, in BCN airport there is a STAR ALLIANCE ticket office managed by Spanair only.
LUFTHANSA CALL CENTER in Spain is in Palma de Mallorca and this servide is held by SPANAIR staff in the SPANAIR CALL CENTER.
In my opinion, SPANAIR will join STAR ALLIANCE very soon to compete directly with IBERIA and ONEWORLD here in SPain

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos