VgnAtl747
Topic Author

Listening To Airports

Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:42 am

I was wondering if anyone knew the frequencies for airports. How close do you have to be to an airport to pick up its frequencies- (ex: Tower, Ramp, etc.). Is there an internet site where I can punch in the airport code, and get a list of the frequencies? Thanks for your help.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

modesto2

RE: Listening To Airports

Tue Jul 10, 2001 8:07 am

http://www.airnav.com has all the United States airports. Your distance from the airport, as well as the terrain will affect your reception. If you're within 10 miles, there's a good chance you can hear something!

Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:47 am

I'm 15 miles from Dulles (IAD) right in the flight path of departing international flights. I hear the pilots perfectly clear on the departure frequency with my handheld radio. (Virgin 744 flight #22 flies over my house at 10,000-11,000 feet every night around 7:30!!) If I'm on the 3rd story of my townhouse, I can also hear the controller. Same goes for the approach and tower frequencies. For some reason, I get the approach frequency the clearest.

JB

Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:05 am

I live 25 miles from IAH. For some reason I can hear the ground controller very clearly.

airtahitinui

Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:53 am

I live right in the middle of JFK, LGA, and EWR - so I hauled butt to the local radio shack and picked up a scanner and an extended antenna. Now I got more channels to listen to than I can shake a stick at.

Moral of the story is - if you live near an airport (ie within 12 miles) and you're an aviation buff, get a scanner.
send a real message - DON'T VOTE!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos