VgnAtl747
Topic Author

Listening To Airports

Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:42 am

I was wondering if anyone knew the frequencies for airports. How close do you have to be to an airport to pick up its frequencies- (ex: Tower, Ramp, etc.). Is there an internet site where I can punch in the airport code, and get a list of the frequencies? Thanks for your help.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

modesto2

RE: Listening To Airports

Tue Jul 10, 2001 8:07 am

http://www.airnav.com has all the United States airports. Your distance from the airport, as well as the terrain will affect your reception. If you're within 10 miles, there's a good chance you can hear something!

Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:47 am

I'm 15 miles from Dulles (IAD) right in the flight path of departing international flights. I hear the pilots perfectly clear on the departure frequency with my handheld radio. (Virgin 744 flight #22 flies over my house at 10,000-11,000 feet every night around 7:30!!) If I'm on the 3rd story of my townhouse, I can also hear the controller. Same goes for the approach and tower frequencies. For some reason, I get the approach frequency the clearest.

JB

Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:05 am

I live 25 miles from IAH. For some reason I can hear the ground controller very clearly.

airtahitinui

Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:53 am

I live right in the middle of JFK, LGA, and EWR - so I hauled butt to the local radio shack and picked up a scanner and an extended antenna. Now I got more channels to listen to than I can shake a stick at.

Moral of the story is - if you live near an airport (ie within 12 miles) and you're an aviation buff, get a scanner.
send a real message - DON'T VOTE!