mirrodie

JFK=Idlewild

Tue Jul 10, 2001 9:58 am

Idlewild used to be the name for JFK airport. Anyone know the significance of the name?

As an aside, there is an AWESOME martini and cigar bar on Houston st. in NYC. I was there 2 years ago.

It's called Idlewild and the inside is...an airplane!! All the seats inside are actual airline seats and the bartender and other employees there are dressed up as flight attendants and ground crew.

Just something different for us Airliners...  Big thumbs up

Here is what I got off the web.

Boarding
A narrow space outfitted like a top-of-the-line 747, circa 1967, Idlewild (which takes the old name of JFK Airport) features shiny silver metal ceilings, blue flame-stitched upholstered walls, fake porthole windows and a dozen sets of genuine airplane seats--don't worry, there's lots of leg room. The barbacks sport ground crew coveralls, the waitresses model pale-blue, neo-stewardess drag and the bartenders are comfortingly attired as pilots.

Coffee, Tea or ...
The witty Jim Chu is your captain for the evening, keeping things festive yet low-key, as always. No peanuts, but lots of "zany" cocktails and, if you hurry, you can still get a charter membership in the mile-high club.

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Tango-Bravo

RE: JFK=Idlewild

Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:38 am

Idlewild derived its name from the district of metro New York in which it was built. Until being re-named JFK (I believe it was on Christmas Day, 1963) the airport code for Idlewild, also known as New York International, was IDL.

sammyk

Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:38 pm

I believe the land on which the airport was built belonged to, or was the Idlewild Country Club and/or golf course.

Sammy

mirrodie

Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:14 am

in either case, check out the bar when in NYC. Worth a visit!
THanks for the answers.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Ironminds

Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:08 pm

where on houston is idlewild? i'm down in that neighborhood a lot and would love to check it out.

oh, and how is australia treating you? i'm heading down on qantas in about six weeks.