SSTjumbo
Topic Author

ORD To Be DFW's Nearly A Twin?

Tue Jul 10, 2001 3:28 pm

I looked at a picture of what is to be the new O'Hare proposed by Daley. The plan looks identical to what DFW is now. On two ends of the battery:

(-) This might be a desperation maneuver, no pun intended, to copy a proven airport layout like the one @ DFW which has far fewer congestion delays I think.

(+) If it is the case, it would work out very well for Chicago. I commute between ORD and DFW alot and it would be cool to see the planes take off and land over 294.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

CactusA319

RE: ORD To Be DFW's Nearly A Twin?

Tue Jul 10, 2001 4:33 pm

Yeah, DFW has one of the best layouts for an airport and it was used as a model in the new ORD plan, but I wouldn't call it a copy. Oh and planes already take off and land over I-294.

highliner2

Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:26 pm

Copy? Desperation move? If you want to get technical, DFW looks alot like Atlanta you know. Did DFW copy ATL? What about LAX, they use 4 parallels too? And of course congestion will be lower when the volume at DFW is less than ORD, and I would imagine the weather tends to be better as well. I agree that ORD, needs to be reconfigured, but I would'nt call anything a copy.
Go Cubs!

Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:15 am

Not a copy at all. Just logical design.

Old airports like ORD evolved from grass strips which, for the light aircraft they accomodated, had runways aligned with prevailing winds. Today, all the new airports use parallel runway sets, and many of the older airports are slowly replacing their crossing runways with additional parallels.

Probably some brainiac did a complex computer model to show ATC can move more traffic more efficiently this way? The same brainiac also discovered that sewers function better if they flow down not up...and round wheels work better than square wheels. Gotta love technology!

SSTjumbo
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:15 am

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The new airport config just looked like a copy of DFW!!! Don't go nuts on me  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

SSTjumbo
Topic Author

RE: CactusA319

Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:16 am

BTW, I am saying that a greater volume will take off and land over 294