modesto2

Airline Industry Research Project

Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:48 am

I'm researching the airline industry, and I'm looking for information such as airline hubs, fleets, employees, passengers carried, history, revenue, etc. I see that atwonline.com has 1999 data, but is there a site that has 2000 data? Thanks for the help and any suggestions are appreciated.

Teej13

RE: Airline Industry Research Project

Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:09 am

Hi there,
I did my honours thesis for my Economics degree on the consolidation in the airline industry, so I'm pretty up to speed on the available data. I also remeber this discussion room as being of little help, so I'd be glad to assist you.  Smile

Fleets: Specific airline websites will provide this data in depth

Employees, revenue: Go to comany annual reports, and it'll have all current data - they're found somewhere on the company website, and many academic institutions have them in hard print.

Enplanements, other passenger data - The US Dept of Transportation has everything you need here: do a search for stuff like fares, and the Consumer Fare Report's got loads of stuff. The Acountant General's office also did a great report on the US/UAL merger, and they've got loads of figures.

Lemme know if you need anything more.

Cheers,
T.J.

B747-437B

Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:52 am

Try the "Plane Earnings" section at http://www.planebusiness.com
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

nycank

Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:59 am

Do not forget to look at the SEC filings for carriers that are traded.
Since you did not say what your research paper is focused on (i.e. is it a
Eco paper, Management paper, Operations Research paper) it is difficult to
point to other detailed information.

modesto2

Thu Jul 12, 2001 6:32 am

Nycank, I am profiling my company's 10 largest airline customers for our intranet page. I am looking for information regarding airline history, fleet size, aircraft, revenue, hubs, employees, passengers, daily flights, regional associates, alliances and news.

Teej13

Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:20 am

Most of that data is on specific airline websites in the corporate section.

PHX

Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:21 am

Try the book "Vital Guide to Airlines of the World". It is a little brief on some aspects, but has information on fleet, history, markets served, aircraft, revenue, and passengers served, as well as regional associates. As for daily flights and news, you'll have to look at each carriers web page. I have a copy of the book from 1999, and I don't know if they have published an updated version, but if they have it is a great resource. Hope it helps!