airplanetire

How Do You Become The Pilot Of Airforce One?

Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:56 am

What do you have to do to become the pilot of Airforce One, the presidential aircraft of the United States. I imagine that you would have to join the US Airforce to start. You'd probably have to stay there for a long time and I don't think that is all that you would have to do. What is involved and how long does it take? I wouldn't want to be the pilot of Airforce One, but I am still curious.

Regards,
Airplanetire

Shawn Patrick

RE: How Do You Become The Pilot Of Airforce One?

Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:51 pm

You wouldn't want to be the pilot of AF1??????? That would be THE DREAM JOB!!!

Not sure what it takes, but I used to know a guy who flew AF1. I'd like to talk to him about it sometime...

Did you just watch the AF1 thing on PBS? I did and I was just about to ask the very same question! LOL!

Let's get some replies in here!

-Shawn

AI744LR

Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:38 am

You don't!

cfalk

Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:43 am

I believe you have to get to the rank of a full-bird colonel before they give you command of AF1. That's 25-30 years flying experience at least.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

me

Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:49 am

We have an ex-Air Force One pilot working here at AirTran. He was hired with me back in '98.

ryu2

Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:44 pm

Cfalk, if that's correct that it takes at least 30 years (does it?), then I guess that means whoever flew AF1 would have to be a lifelong career military officer, because someone in the service that long would probably have little chance of advancing in the civilian market before he hits the mandatory retirement age of 60.

Too bad, as that would probably be the ultimate thing to have on any pilot's resume!

Joona

Thu Jul 19, 2001 5:11 pm

Airplanetire, take a Cessna 172, and ask Bush to go flying with you. Then you will be flying the Air Force 1.

The official president's plane is Boeing 747, nicknamed the Air Force 1.

But Air Force 1, in reality, is the callsign of any aircraft Bush is flying in.

So if you have Bush flying in a Cessna, the Cessna's callsign would be Air Force 1.

Easy, right?

Joona
1740 days idle. Beat that.

ryu2

Thu Jul 19, 2001 6:16 pm

No callsign would not be Air Force One, unless the Cessna was operated by the Air Force. It would be Executive One, if you, a civilian was operating it. Of course, they would never allow the President to fly any plane other than the official VIP transports for security reasons, so this is all academic.

Anyways, to answer the original question, how to become a pilot of Air Force One:

http://afas.afpc.randolph.af.mil/alf-tank/89AW.htm

And if you're interested in the logistics that take place to support a Presidential visit:

http://www.i5ive.com/article.cfm/middle_east/27627 (it has somewhat of an anti-American slant, but still interesting to read)

jet_guy

Thu Jul 19, 2001 8:34 pm

its all about pecision and expert timing. Your weapons of choice must be chosen with much care, and hidden appropriatley, the security on such an a/c well.......
It would need to be done with a team more than one, each man (or women) would need to gaurd each part of the plane, seperate sections for different memebers no one must leave sight of the terriosts. Such a procedure takes years and years of build up. It would also help that you knew how to fly the plane after you took it over. Land in a hostile country, afghanastain (sp) would be perfect.

Legally....ummmmmm.......You have to preoberly be the worlds best pilot, so good luck

Sam

P.S i was joking about taking over air force one, if anyone starts to take it seriously!  Big thumbs up