USAir's Interiors

Sun Jun 13, 1999 8:28 am

What did USAir's interiors look like on the BAC Jet? When did USAir stop using BAC aircraft? Also,
are the interiors the same in USAirways jets as when the jets had old USAir colors? Or were they changed with the colors?

Colin Kumpunen

L1011

RE: USAir's Interiors

Sun Jun 13, 1999 8:47 am

The interiors were changed even on those that are not yet in new colors. By BAC jet, I assume you mean the BAC-111s. Their last interior had open overhead racks and very bright seats in red and blue. I have pictures of this interior the last time I flew on one. The DC-9s also had the bright red and blue seats at that time.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

RatherBeFlying

Sun Jun 20, 1999 8:01 am

I beg to differ with the above post:The Bac-111's of USAir had overhead compartments added shortly before they were retired--but the bins were very small. The bright red and blue interiors were kept until the end, but prior to that, USAir kept the original Allegheny interior- a beautiful sort of rose and purple color, with dark red carpet. This was before USAir changed the configuration from 74 to 79 seats. Should you like to see a photo of the "old" interior, e-mail me at RatherBeFlying@webtv.net. Also--does anybody out there remember the original AL green and orange interiors for the DC-9's?

L1011

Sun Jun 20, 1999 1:04 pm

You may be right about USAir installing overhead bins on the BAC-111 shortly before retiring it. The pictures I have are of a BAC-111 of Florida Express. It was either purchased or leased from USAir and still had the bright blue and red seats, and the pictures clearly show open overhead racks. It was aircraft N1548, and the flight was ZO 102 from RIC to MCO on 6/20/84.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B