Z8
Topic Author

Irkutsk Crash: CVR Transcript

Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:54 am

It's just now was made available from
http://www.ntv.ru/russia/13Jul2001/tu154crash_kp.html
with some comments from an expert (a flying director of Vnukovo Airlines). Unfortunately, only in Russian. Anyone cares to translate?

In short:
17:07:45,5 The crash sequence starts with an alarm sound because of the excessive angle of attack. A couple of seconds earlier the copilot, who was flying the plane at the time, pitched the nose up in order to gain altitude and to stay at the assigned 850m level. The pitch was too high for the current speed and the plane lost stability.

17:07:51 -- 17:07:58 The crew desperately tries to level the plane.

17:08:02 The crew realizes that instead of leveling the plane they should apply more engine power. The plane is already stalled and is unrecoverable.

17:08:11,5 Last recorded words from the crew. In rough translation: "That's all. F*ck!"

17:08:16 Ground proximity alarm sounds. Lasts for 6 seconds.

17:08:22 Impact with engines rated at the full take-off power. It's assumed that for the last 11 seconds a g-load was so high (the plane went into a "horizontal spin") that the pilots lost consciousness.

It's horrible. Just 37 seconds for 145 souls to perish. I'm speechless. Let them all rest in peace.

Alexander.

agrodemm

RE: Irkutsk Crash: CVR Transcript

Fri Jul 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Tragic indeed.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the ill-fated a/c was on the third approach for landing (it aborded landing twice?) It seems to me that the stress level of pilots makes them prone to miscalculations. I think we had several cases of crashes after certain aborted landings...

May them all rest in the sky.

gerardo

Fri Jul 13, 2001 2:57 pm

Does anybody know, why the landing has been aborted twice?

Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

LY744

Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:06 pm

The full transcript has just been published (only Russian):
http://www.kp.ru/articles/issue22590/paper7071.html
Somewhat of a rough translation/summary by me:
According to the transcript, it was the flight's first and only landing attempt. There were no previous landing attempts by this flight earlier that night.
The FO was the pilot in control during the approach and landing. The pilots were told to descend to 850 metres by the tower, but the a/c was losing some altitude, so the FO tried to pull the a/c up, which probably caused the TU-154M to stall. When the crew realised that the a/c was losing too much speed, they tried to apply full engine power but it was too late.
when the FO was trying to pull the a/c up to 850 metres the navigator was telling him to be more "gentle" in his manouvers, which suggests that the FO's actions may not have been absolutely appropriate.

Any comments/corrections are welcome.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

Z8
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:18 pm

The landing wasn't aborted twice and the a/c was on its first approach. The initial reports were misleading (or possible badly translated). In fact, the plane was making its third (and final) TURN for the landing. It is the usual procedure there. The landscape around Irkutsk airport is very complicated and dictates equally complicated approaches. It was a decisive factor in several accidents before.

Alexander.

LY744

Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:54 am

A correction to my previous post: The a/c lost too much speed while the crew was descending to the given altitude of 850 m (2800ft), as a result of that, the a/c stalled when making the final (4th) turn before landing, the FO couldn't recover the a/c from the stall, the crew then tried to apply full engine power but it was too late.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

cfalk

Sat Jul 14, 2001 1:31 am

Sounds like deep stall all right. From nearly 3,000 feet, a normal stall should be recoverable. A deep stall in a T-tail aircraft is another thing altogether.

Any pilots here to shed any light?

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

airnewzealand

Sat Jul 14, 2001 9:20 pm

Please tell me in English...could someone please traslat all of it...there are heaps of people on this site wanting to know!!
Cheers
mikey