Why Don't US Carriers Fly To The ME

Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:36 pm

I know that PanAm used to fly to Riyadh and Dubai in the early 80's. But most US carriers shun the Middle East these days. The exceptions is flights made to Cairo, Tel Aviv, and recent Delta trip to Dubai, via Cairo.
Is it a political or economic decision? Bombing activites agianst US carriers ceased a long time ago, and it is much safer now. If they can make it safely to Cairo and Tel Aviv, then they should not have problems landing in Jeddah and Bahrain. I know many people fly to between the Gulf and US, and they mostly use European carriers. Why can't American carriers take a bite of this market?

Your thoughts are appreciated  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Good Day!

nycank

RE: Why Don't US Carriers Fly To The ME

Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:46 pm

Little bit of everthing, in no particular order

1. low yeald traffic
2. High liability insurance
3. Politics
4. Visa hassles for joe.aveage.tourist.who.rarely.knowswhat.visa.is  Wink/being sarcastic

Many ME countries do not allow americans who have an Isreali entry on
their passport, thereby limiting many (at least NewYorkers) from taking
a tourist trip.

B747-437B

Fri Jul 13, 2001 11:46 pm

The reason for this is primarily economic. The Middle Eastern carriers are highly subsidized by their respective governments and can essentially undercut the US carrier by a factor in double digits without raising an eyebrow. It is impossible to sustain high yields in such a market for that very reason. There are exceptions of course, such as Israel and Egypt. Ironically, TWA made its money off the RUH-CAI fifth freedom rights as much as they did with RUH-JFK traffic. The jury is still out on Dubai. Only time will tell if Delta can make it a success.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

seagull

Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:31 am

Delta operates to DBX. Of course, both FedEx and UPS operate to that region.

MAH4546

Sat Jul 14, 2001 4:52 am

American has no plans to axe the JFK-CAI-RUH service. Very profitable from what I hear.
a.

ScottB

Sat Jul 14, 2001 6:10 am

Don't forget that many of the large Middle Eastern countries that don't have U.S. carriers providing service aren't on terribly good terms with the U.S. either. Iraq? Iran? Syria? Lebanon? Yemen? Libya? Afghanistan? Sudan?

There's little money to be made on leisure traffic to the Middle East. There is certainly enhanced risk to carriers which fly to the Middle East, and the costs involved in maintaining enough security to keep your plane from being bombed or hijacked. And American carriers can expand their reach to the Middle East just as effectively by code-sharing with European and Middle Eastern carriers without exposing themselves to the risks

taloush

Sat Jul 14, 2001 6:26 am

ScottB is correct

GF codeshares with AA on routes from the gulf to the states...and vice versa.

AA rules!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
taloush
Your attention, please.

747-451

Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:33 pm

Some aircraft lease agreements do not allow aircraft into ME or other "quote unquote" high risk areas. Some Insurance companies do not allow it either.

Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:41 pm

Delta flies from JFK to TLV, CAI, and DXB and holds route auth. to many others, but doesn't fly the others.

HlywdCatft

Sat Jul 14, 2001 1:59 pm

I am surprised Northwest doesn't fly to the Mid East.

Detroit has the largest arab population outside the mideast. One would think that northwest could possibly fly to a couple mideastern countries and have full loads

HlywdCatft

Sat Jul 14, 2001 2:08 pm

HlywdCatft, you're right, I noticed, and our flights from FRA-DTW-FRA LH are quite popular with people from the ME, now I know why!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy