DeltaBoy777
Topic Author

Delta VS. American VS. United What Do You Think?

Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:03 am

Delta, Voted best in Service, Frequency, etc.
VS.
American, HUGE especially after buyout of TWA
VS.
United, Great Customer Service and Marketing

What do you think? I would have to pick Delta because I fly them so much. They were voted the best airline for Customer Service, Frequency, and for Baggage Return. There Customer Service though has improved alot over the past 10 yrs.
Delta 777

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Sheldon

American 777

Click for large version

Photo © Brian Peters

United 777

Click for large version

Photo © Aric Thalman

Thanks and Gig Em!

phxairfan

RE: Delta VS. American VS. United What Do You Think?

Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:14 am

This'll question start a war, but so did mine. Delta, comfortable, and good service.

co/ba

Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:19 am

CO and NW sneak in and take over while AA, UA, and DL fight it out.

NO UNION FOR CO!!!!

seven_fifty7

RE: Delta VS. American VS. United What Do You Thin

Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:20 am

I think UA has HORRID marketing which IMHO, has contributed indirectly (somewhat) to their current tragic position. AA has the best marketing of the three.

I firmly believe UA and AA are identical (in terms of inflight service, customer service agents, and res). I find the FAs of both airlines to be exactly the same. I won't comment on Mullin's carrier being that I had two consecutive nightmare experiences with that Atlanta-based airline.

blink182

Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:33 am

I will pick my favorite airline, American. I will admit that Delta isn't that bad though. I just don't like Delta's legroom, seats and configuration. As far as inflight service goes, I think the two are identicle. The last time I flew United was atleast 5 years ago, and I think they cancled our reservations and from what i have heard, they aren't much better nowadays.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

toxtethogrady

Chuck Them All And Go With Continental...

Thu Jul 19, 2001 10:22 am

...or Southwest.

Actually I can't wait to fly JetBlue.

SQ325

Thu Jul 19, 2001 10:29 am

Delta: Best service best connections especially to europe and both hubs CVG and ATL are good Airports.
They have a great net of commuter services.
But Delta must work on the average Age of their planes in relation to the other carriers flying A320. I think Delta still has more than 100 B727's. Great plane but to expensive.

Bicoastal

Thu Jul 19, 2001 10:36 am

United. Good fleet, good customer service, good alliances, good frequent flyer program, good network.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

super80

Thu Jul 19, 2001 12:13 pm

definetly delta, they are bar none the best around.

Thu Jul 19, 2001 12:17 pm

I think if United would be more optimistic and outgoing instead of the "so serious" attitude of now, and stop screwing with this corporate jet thing and concentrate on the core airline, and actually have TV commercials (and good ones at that), they could regain the valor they once had, in effect, bringing back the friendly skies.

Thu Jul 19, 2001 12:19 pm

Well, I guess I'd have to say DL because it's been over 12 years since I've flown AA and I've only flown UA three times in my entire life. The times I did fly AA it was always excellent.

padcrasher

Thu Jul 19, 2001 1:34 pm

American does seem to have a good marketing marketing department. They're professional, they get much more accurate, useful, and up to date reports compared to Delta. They also do extremely well with the largest travel agencies and corporations. Of course if your a small time player they treat you like a chump.
They do have knack for creating enemies in the market place, whether it's other airlines, travel agencies, passengers, corporations, or freight forwarders, or their own employees. When I have spoken with other airline Mgrs/Reps at association meetings or conferences most usually want to stick it to AA no matter what region they're from.

northwest_guy

Sat Jul 21, 2001 1:19 pm

If I had to choose between those three airlines I would choose Delta, but only because they are the lesser of the three evils. I really cant stand any of those airlines. Now if I could choose any airline in the U.S. I would choose Northwest.

jessman

Sat Jul 21, 2001 1:31 pm

Absolutely DL. They all have their ups and downs but to all you CO people if not for comair(hear mistake) DL would have made a profit this quarter. I know for a fact that customer service at DL is excellent. I provide my best for every customer coming across my line. I've talked to the others, talked to employees and ex-employees of the others. DL is the best from an employee standpoint (0 layoffs since 1929; say that NW) and that translates over to the customer. They're even starting to really drop the fares and fare restrictions across the system, recent ex seamco $177 rt. ATLPHL 7day advance 75 OW fare, ie not based on rt purchase. The proof will be in the pudding, but I see DL thriving far into the future.

Sat Jul 21, 2001 1:46 pm

Last I checked....CO was winning all the awards

co/ba

Sat Jul 21, 2001 1:49 pm

Serving more international cities than any other U.S. carrier.

NO UNION FOR CO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purdue Arrow

Sat Jul 21, 2001 2:48 pm

I'm not going to put in my opinion here, because most everyone knows what I'd say anyway. I would, however, like to address two Delta-relaed issues raised in this thread...

First, to defend Delta... "I think Delta still has more than 100 B727's."

They have no where near that many. Though they keep extended the retirement dates of aircraft, they were down in the 70's when I left Delta in May, and I believe they've retired some since then.

Now, to refute a Delta-is-grand statement... "DL is the best from an employee standpoint (0 layoffs since 1929; say that NW) and that translates over to the customer."

I see in the profile that the person who wrote this is 16-20 years old, and, therefore, probably didn't work at Delta in the mid-90s. While it's good to think highly of your employer, I think that some employees at Delta would refute this statement. Talk to the folks who came to work everyday during "Leadership 7.5", being certain that it would be the last day that they'd work. Talk to the people who lived in constant fear that their department would be cut to bring down DL's CASM. The folks who worked Atlanta Radio during this time probably don't see such a rosy picture of job-security as you do.

padcrasher

Sat Jul 21, 2001 3:09 pm

uh I worked during this time and DL never implied that there would be layoffs they even tried to quash those rumors. Much of the angst you describe just came from the fact that we were losing lots of money and it is normal to worry about your company when this happens. Besides, worrying about your job does not compare to actually losing it now does it?

Sat Jul 21, 2001 3:11 pm

UNITED!

Hey this is my last post here until my trip in SLC ends on the 25th.

Goodbye everybody!

jessman

Purdue Arrow

Sat Jul 21, 2001 3:15 pm

True, I missed 7.5, and admittedly a lot of my love for delta came from growing up less than a mile from CVG airport in Hebron, KY. I met a lot of friends who worked for the airline during those years, and those who are there right now like where the company is going. I have some issues with delta. I really don't think it was right for them to buy Comair/ASA. Those are regional airlines and I feel they should be independant of a Major airline mindset. My two cents, not saying it was bad business just not quite ethical. Every airline has to adapt to survive, and I feel like their goals for fleet simplicity, customer service, and price are right on target. I worked for three other corporations before delta(I started young) I was used and let go, I was not a bad employee, I even got recommendations, but I was no longer needed. Even when in the mass of Delta res I feel insignifigant the employees and even supervisors make me feel like I belong at that company. I can understand 7.5 from a business standpoint, and from what I've heard of it, and faced with the decision to either take a pay cut, or watch a company I respect go bankrupt I would take the paycut. I wish it had worked for TWA. If nothing else DL looks good on a resume when I'm ready to move on.

deltaownsall

Sat Jul 21, 2001 3:41 pm

Of Course, go Delta  Smile They own all, but after them I'd have to say American's coach is great...and since when did United have great customer service? I heard it was horrible...oh well...go Delta...great customer service, on time record, and domestic first. If they change their coach and get rid of the 727s they will be unbeatable.
DeltaOwnsAll

DeltaBoy777
Topic Author

RE: Chuck Them All And Go With Continental...

Sun Jul 29, 2001 12:26 pm

I would still say Delta is best. I just flew from DFW-SEA-SEA-DFW AND THE SERVICE WAS GREAT!!!! We even had Ice Cream Sundaes in First Class going up and coming back!!!

"fly for fun"-Delta
Thanks and Gig Em!

Sun Jul 29, 2001 4:22 pm

I work for DL and I can't wait to retire, this company sucks!

cch362

Sun Jul 29, 2001 6:42 pm

I've always liked United best because it has the best route structure in N. America, but the airline SUX right now because it is badly mismanaged. Employee morale is very low, so the quality of service is pure apathy.

I prefer Delta right now until United gets new management.

go canada!

Sun Jul 29, 2001 8:42 pm

AA are a lot better than united as for delta i havent been, ive heard good things about them but I dont know if I would use a skyteam airline again.

United as far as im concerned dont have good customer service, the f/a's can be rude and the check in staff have serious issues with regards to helping the customer and treating the customer as an individual person.

United simple concertrated on being the biggest, but big isnt always the best.
they have got a lot of work to do to beat AA especially after the US airways merger chaos-if united wishes to be the worlds best airline then the attitude of some of the staff need to change, they need to stop being sarcastic, they need to stop losing cases without saying sorry and they need to be friendly and cheerful rather than down right moody.

It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

ContinentalEWR

Sun Jul 29, 2001 9:56 pm

Of the three, I have flown most with United and generally feel that United is a pretty decent and
reliable airline. The problem is, they need to be
more focused on their core product and not so
much on all the other things (US Airways and
the corporate jet venture). They have a "serious"
image that sometimes make them seem bland and
their marketing is a little confusing since they do
not seem to use the same signage and colors on
the livery as on everything else.

American to me has always seemed to be the
slightly more service oriented carrier of the two
but basically, these are the same airlines.

Delta....well......they're okay, but nothing really
special. The food and comfort level on longhaul
flights in coach is lousy and they really need to
upgrade their fleet more aggressively and launch
an improved coach product on transatlantic
and international flights. BizElite is very good
though.

Of the three, I'd be least inclined to fly Delta
and more inclined to fly UA followed by AA.

ContinentalEWR

SESGDL

Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:57 am

Delta, DUH!!!!! Their service, fleet, routes, hubs, their frequencies to flights....EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! DELTA WILL ALWAYS BE BEST!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:30 am

i would have to say Delta, only because i've flown them 11 out of my 16 years of life. second to them i would pick US Airways.

AA767Boy

Mon Jul 30, 2001 4:19 am

No comment!

FlyVirgin744

Mon Jul 30, 2001 4:23 am

I must say that I'm very surprised at the amount of Delta responses! Delta has gotten much better in the last year or two. My pick will also be Delta. It is the only airline to bring 727s, 737s, 757s, 767s, L1011s, MD80s, and MD90s into my home airport (PBI) on a regular basis and occasionly a 777. However, their website sickens me with all that PC crap on the top of the page.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 30, 2001 4:41 am

American get's by vote. Though I do admit that when it comes to comfort in business-class, it's hard for any other US airline to beat DL's Business Elite.
a.

777guy

Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:07 am

It has been about a year and a half since flying United but I like their level of customer service and also their channel 9 to listen cockpit communications.I am Atlanta based and have seen more rudeness on Delta then any other airline.American with their legroom is nice.The bottom line is who has best fare.

777gk

Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:48 am

I miss United's old commercials from the late 1980s, usually showing a 747-200 in the old colors flying off into the sunset. Those commercials, with the matter-of-fact voice of the guy doing the voice-over left you saying, "This is airline knows what it is doing." Once you can achieve that, you are in business. They lost it with the Rising campaign: it seemed to cater too much to the premium travelers and made United seem like it was in a bad position and needed to regain its lost glory. In essence, all the confidence of past ads vanished and sent United into somewhat of a decline.

Tan Flyr

Mon Jul 30, 2001 12:16 pm

United..customer service....what you smoking boy??

united better get focus BACK onto customer service. Many of my collegues will not fly UA. Just too many problems.

AA and DL are not perfect, but that do do a better job that UA.

Day in, day out, across all of America, the nod has to go to AA.