Free Flight: Is James Fallows On To Something?

Mon Jul 23, 2001 2:21 am

I came across this article in The Economist outlining an interesting idea postulated by James Fallows in his new book. He proposes a revolutionary solution to the air travel mess by utilizing very small aircraft to fly people to small local airports. These could be air taxis, private pilots travelling when and where people want. The small plane could be as ubiquitous as the automobile:

Has anyone read the book? If so, do you think his ideas are feasible or is it a bit far fetched?

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

RE: Free Flight: Is James Fallows On To Something?

Mon Jul 23, 2001 2:52 am

Well, it's an interesting idea. It might work in some of the more rural areas of the U.S. like Montana, North Dakota or South Dakota, or if you were going between 2 small cities that were relatively close together (within 2 hours), say between Waco, TX and Alexandria, LA.

I don't think it would be popular on longer flights, especially with the business flyers. Somehow, I can't see a pompous, jewel encrusted, titanium level frequent flyer who thinks he is entitled to a first class upgrade every time he flies riding on some rinky dink little plane from Roanoke, VA to Elko, NV. It seems like this kind of service (on the longer flights, anyway) wouldn't be "elite" enough to suit them.

Then again, who knows. Interesting concept, though. I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

RE: Free Flight: Is James Fallows On To Something?

Mon Jul 23, 2001 3:09 am

Well, it's just that -- an interesting concept, nothing more. The thing with Fallows is, and I speak from someone who's followed his career for a long time, he comes up with lotsof book-advance generating ideas, but he is almost always consistently wrong about everything.