Northwest's Sloppy Tail Logo Placement

Wed Jun 16, 1999 6:29 am

Hi-

Does it bug anyone else how Northwest Airlines has their clever [N, W, compass with the arrow pointing NW, and any other I forgot] places so sloppily on their fleet? It is in a different place on every single plane. And it is not just a plane type. ON some planes, it is in the middle, or off to the side, whatever. I have even seen it kinda cut off on the edge or not even there [on their new paint scheme, too]. Why is this?

Jack M

PS
Has anyone else ever noticed this? It really bugs me. I hope someone comes up with an answer. No other airline (that I know of) has sloppy placement of logos, etc.

DeltaShuttle

RE: Northwest's Sloppy Tail Logo Placement

Wed Jun 16, 1999 6:57 am

I have noticed this too, but not on as many aircraft as you have seen. My guess would be that it all happened during the repainting of Northwest's fleet. The distortions probably occurred during each phase of repainting. In case this isn't clear, what I mean is that, say there are two Northwest DC-9's that have to be repainted. If one is done in March of 1992 and the other in November of 1992, it is very likely that there will be some discrepancy in the paint job. Another possible, but unlikely explanation is this. Some of the planes are going to be retired in the near future, and to save costs, the N's are just stickers and the stickers aren't placed in the same place. But, remember, these are just my ideas. I don't think you will be able to find a definitive answer. What boggles my mind even more is why Northwest had three different paint schemes going before they switched to the new livery- White with a red stripe, white with a blue stripe, white and metal, with a blue stripe(the old livery).

Northwest 3 Schemes

Wed Jun 16, 1999 8:05 am

The reason for the three different liveries was, this was a big transition period for NW. They had the old scheme on some a/c, the new one being introduced to a few a/c, and some planes that they acquired from Republic ((It was Republic right?)) Well it was hybrid when NW put the other airlines planes' newly into service for themselves...Hope this clears it up!!!!

Cody

RE: Northwest 3 Schemes

Wed Jun 16, 1999 12:11 pm

That's right! Republic was in the midst of changeing their colors from turquoise to blu, grey and red. This was the Mary Tyler Moore scheme. When NW bought RC, the fleet was still in transition and that's why there were so many schemes.

RE: Northwest 3 Schemes

Wed Jun 16, 1999 2:04 pm

Does anyone know who paints Northwest's aircraft? If there is a lot of sloppiness, perhaps it is due to the them outsourcing their painting. If they do their sloppy painting in-house, then there's no excuse.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos